How much money per month do you invest on fitness?

@defd2000 I pay $135/month and go to a small, group-class gym that offers structured, rotating workouts (HIIT). I get 12 classes a month and unlimited would be edging $180/month. They have other perks for the higher membership. We use Concept 2 machines, TRX, ropes, weights, resistance bands, an instructor and a really invigorating atmosphere of fun lighting design and music. It’s bougie, yes, but I enjoy it because it keeps me motivated and I see results. I’m grateful I can afford it. It’s an extremely convenient location for me as well. I’ve been a member at YMCAs to having my own home routines, and those were great when they were working for me, but I appreciate having a place like this even if it’s way more than I’d like to be spending on a gym membership. This place is unique in my area and no other place even compares to what they offer. I believe get my monies worth out of it.

Do what keeps you going and motivated if you can afford the membership.

Food wise I’m all over the place and have nothing of value to suggest lol

@defd2000 I used to spend $35/mo for a chain gym membership.

Then I spent something like $50 for a climbing gym with resistance machines.

Then I spent maybe around $500-1000 for a barebones basement gym of free weights (bench, barbells, dumbbells, limited bumper weights) which got me in great shape which I used on and off for years.

Over the last couple years I spent about another $2000 to kit out a garage gym with a power rack, adjustable bench, and more Olympic bumper weights and I don't see myself needing anything else for years if ever.

For cardio I jog ($175 shoes) or ride a bike ($700 once)

If I'm bulking, I eat more. Maybe $30-40/mo in protein powder.

Over ~20 years it really doesn't feel like fitness has been that expensive. In middle age I'm in the best shape of my life with a simple garage barbell setup.

I can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars a month but I think if that was the only way to keep me exercising I'd prefer it to being out of shape with chronic illness. Do what you need to do for you.

@defd2000 $225 might sound like a lot to some folks, but if you’re loving the classes and attending consistently then it’s totally worth it! If they can afford it, I’m totally in favor of folks investing in the type of gym/class/program that is actually going to get them moving. Some people spend over $100/hour for personal training sessions, so there’s some more perspective. Congratulations on your year of fitness!!