How quickly could I get ripped if I already have a low body fat percentage?

I'm a scrawny long distance runner. I'm currently running >100 miles in 11-12 hours per week. The only strength training I do is core/abs. I recently had access to a bioelectrical impedance scale and I took a bunch of readings over the course of a week. They were all in the 6-7% body fat range. If I were to suddenly switch from running to serious weight training for large muscles, would I have something of a head start since I already have minimal body fat? Or is the opposite true and I'd need to bulk up first? Or is that not how any of this works??

@whatshername4440
  • Replace running with weight training
  • Make sure your calories are are around maintenance and adjust from there as your body changes
  • Keep consistent protein intake
  • Manipulate carbs around training sessions and lower them on non-trainjnh days

@whatshername4440 Easy! Eat more calories than you burn. I'm it sounds obvious but the more you exercise the more of an appetite you will also have naturally. If you like me and started off with like nothing, that means all your gains will be lean mass which is the good kind of muscle mass haha. Just keep consistent and eat food, maybe stay away from cardio at first until you gain at least 10-20lbs assuming your very small. Also I highly recommend creatine as someone trying to make gains, especially as a vegan!

@whatshername4440 As a beginner you would probably gain noticeable muscle fast since you're already an athlete. But you'll plateau fast because low body fat is not the best platform for muscle gain. Staying in the 10-15% range is better for muscle gain. It also varies by individual it's just general guidelines!

@whatshername4440 Hard cardio negates weightlifting gains, ie, "bulking". The people in movies and magazines are on a cocktail of heart attack inducing steroids that they cycle for 3 months or however long is required for the role. You can throw out b.s. celebrity workouts in Men's Health because they're all on steroids. There are loads of huge guys at the local south florida LA Fitness who are on high amounts of TRT (and other $hit) and barely move 100 lbs on the barbell press.

I've found bulking on a vegan diet to be difficult, however my strength in terms of heavy weight lifting is about the same as when I eat fish. When I eat fish I was bigger. When I was on TRT I was larger than when I just eat fish.

No one has figured out the protein conundrum being on a vegan diet as absolutely none of them are convenient, cheap or quality. The problem is too much carbs, fat, or for me an allergy to soy.

I never see a mention of getting omega oils naturally on a vegan diet (meaning not a supplement). The only way to get unprocessed omega oils is hemp, I make hemp milk.