How to cut while minimizing muscle loss

@pmichel 1) Figure out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight

2) Eat enough protein (1.7g per kg of bodyweight)

3) Eat enough fats (min. 0.5g per kg of bodyweight)

4) The rest of your calories can come from carbs.

5) Eat enough fruits and vegetables and other low-calorie, nutrient-dense, and filling foods.

@lennychataeu Usually try to find them in the "good fats" (non saturated fats), such as nuts, vegetable oil, avocados, fishes. No need to fully exclude the other fat type, just try to balance it.

@pmichel You can't have both cutting without losing muscle and cutting in the shortest amount of time, they are mutually exclusive.

A good place to start is to aim for a deficit of 1% of body weight/week.

@pmichel Hello all. I decided to start a calorie deficit. I weigh a little over 200 lbs and stand at 176cm tall. I have quite a high body fat and im simply very unsatisfied with my body image. I do lift and i have accumulated a decent bit of muscle mass in the last several months . My caloric maintenance is roughly 2800 calories so i have decided to settle on 1300 calories a day. I understand that this is an extreme caloric deficit however my mind is definitely set on this number My macros are as follows: carbs: 80-100g, protein: 180-200g (my protein is so high to try and prevent as much muscle loss as possible*) and fats: 15g. The main question here is, in your opinion, how much muscle mass will i lose? Obviously im going to lose some muscle but how bad will it be? Also i train with incredibly high intensity which i think is important to note considering that doing so also helps maintain muscle mass on a calorie deficit.

@weathered A bit late but that is excessive, that’s about a 3 lb loss per week which is extreme. At most it should be 2 but I recommend taking it a bit slow at 1.5. As you progress, I recommend adjusting that. Also doing extreme deficits can cause your metabolism to slow since your body tends to go in starvation mode, minimizing energy expenditure by eliminating unessential tasks. Even lifting while doing an extreme deficit will cause a considerable amount of muscle loss because of the conditions you’re putting your body in but also it can also potentially cause you to lose even more muscle. Please don’t go into an extreme deficit. Don’t be like me. I have experienced the effects that a long term extreme deficit can have. Even with lifting. Though I did lose fat, I lost a lot of muscle as well and as a result of that I ended up skinny fat.

@pmichel PROTEIN!

Do 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight.

Then these macros with a 500 calorie defect.

40% protein (1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight)

30% fat

30% Carbs

@tammy1957 Current body weight.

The 500 calorie deficit allows you to cut at a healthy rate. If you put the goal weight you will cut much faster but your deficit when contrasted to your real weight will be more than 500. Anything more than 500 isn’t generally recommended just because there’s more likelihood of negative effects…. Ie. health risks, loss of energy, poor sleep etc..

@pmichel not gonna lie all this high protein stuff people are saying is not entirely true. I've been cutting the past few months and have not been trying to get protein in. I'm probably getting 60-80g a day which is not a lot for my weight. i've gotten stronger and have never looked better.

but thats just me do whatever you want, its probably not optimal but all I'm saying is don't worry too much about protein.

@zumbachick it is true, more protein = more lean mass retained. It doesnt mean you cannot retain lean mass with a normal protein intake, but it means gou will retain more with a higher intake. and the question was "how to minimize muscle loss in a cut". Which the answer is... high protein.

Not saying high protein is good, or even healthy. lots of studies showing they tend to reduce lifespan. But in terms of muscle loss, a higher protein diet WILL make you retain more muscle

@noname1919 kept my strength and size just fine while not measuring my protein intake on cuts(definitely not getting the "recommended" amount). everyone is different my friend.

@pmichel My advice would be to make your deficit minimal

Keep your protein really high (no downside and more satiating)

Make sure at least 20% of you calories are from fats (stabilize hormones)

Keep lifting the same as you were before just because you are cutting doesn’t mean you need to change the way you lift

Remember the slower you lose weight the more muscle you maintain and the more sustainable the diet is

Back