How to sequence upper/lower/weak point split

deirdreatkins

I've been running upper lower 4 times a week for forever. Want to throw in a weak point day to mix things up, planning to start with side delts and triceps.

Any tips on programming to minimise the impact of reduced rest days?

I'm used to U/L/REST/U/REST/L/REST which always allows 2-3 days before retraining a muscle group.

If I do U/L/weak point/Rest/U/L/Rest it means I'll be hitting triceps and shoulders Monday, Wednesday, Friday with only 1 day off in between. This is unavoidable with a 5 day split like this, but keen to hear what others have done to minimise potential recovery/overtraining issues.

@deirdreatkins I have been thinking about this a lot since I want to switch from a 6 day ppl to 5 day split with an emphasis on arms since its my weakest part.
  • Monday upper
  • Tuesday lower
  • Wednesday arms
  • Thursday x
    • Friday torso
  • Saturday limbs
  • Sunday x
I will be doing cardio(like swimming on thursday and a few runs early in the morning) as well and a lot of it depends on your work/school/personal life but the most logical seems to be to hit the weak point (since its not legs) the dat after a leg workout.

In my example I will have the upper day with a day off using my arms in between with sunday and tuesday.
I think that will be enough for recovery, progress, balance and a 5 day split.

@chris77777 I would probably do: Legs 1, Torso, Arms & Shoulders, Rest, Legs 2, Upper, Rest

Torso day would not include shoulders.

Upper day would have fewer sets per muscle to avoid excessive volume.

Legs 1 & Legs 2 would have different focuses (quads/hams).