How to sequence upper/lower/weak point split

deirdreatkins

I've been running upper lower 4 times a week for forever. Want to throw in a weak point day to mix things up, planning to start with side delts and triceps.

Any tips on programming to minimise the impact of reduced rest days?

I'm used to U/L/REST/U/REST/L/REST which always allows 2-3 days before retraining a muscle group.

If I do U/L/weak point/Rest/U/L/Rest it means I'll be hitting triceps and shoulders Monday, Wednesday, Friday with only 1 day off in between. This is unavoidable with a 5 day split like this, but keen to hear what others have done to minimise potential recovery/overtraining issues.

@deirdreatkins I have been thinking about this a lot since I want to switch from a 6 day ppl to 5 day split with an emphasis on arms since its my weakest part.
  • Monday upper
  • Tuesday lower
  • Wednesday arms
  • Thursday x
    • Friday torso
  • Saturday limbs
  • Sunday x
I will be doing cardio(like swimming on thursday and a few runs early in the morning) as well and a lot of it depends on your work/school/personal life but the most logical seems to be to hit the weak point (since its not legs) the dat after a leg workout.

In my example I will have the upper day with a day off using my arms in between with sunday and tuesday.
I think that will be enough for recovery, progress, balance and a 5 day split.

@chris77777 I would probably do: Legs 1, Torso, Arms & Shoulders, Rest, Legs 2, Upper, Rest

Torso day would not include shoulders.

Upper day would have fewer sets per muscle to avoid excessive volume.

Legs 1 & Legs 2 would have different focuses (quads/hams).

@txstudent145 Just do @sandys/Rest/U/L/Weakpoint/Rest/Rest. This gives you 2 days of rest from Weakpoint day to the next Upper day which is more than enough for Side delts and Triceps

Upper
Lower
Rest
Upper
Lower
Weak point
Rest
Rest

What am I missing?

@deirdreatkins This is my current split:

Upper / Lower + arms / Rest / Upper / Legs / Arms + extras

I don't train my arms on my upper days. On my arm day I also hit other groups that I feel could use some extra attention depending on how I feel. Think side delts, forearms, abs, etc. Recovery should be fine as long u consider the total volume, eat&sleep enough and make sure to listen to ur body.

@deirdreatkins If your weak point is something small(er) like side delts, bis, or tris, you can add some extra sets of it to your leg days. Also, probably just do U / L, L, rest, U / L, L, rest, rest. Then you can really kill your weak point on that second leg day knowing you'll have two days rest.