I‘m tired of not getting better at pull-ups

@greg67 Might sound corny, but it was more of a mindset change for me that helped.

I used to just keep doing reps until I got tired, which happened to be around the same number each week. It got a bit boring tbh.

To improved I told myself each week I would do at least one more rep than the previous week. It's easier if that rep is in the start of your sets than the end because you are less fatigued. You said you max out in anywhere from 3-8 reps, so I would recommend finding a starting number (even if it's only 3 or 4!) and methodically improving upon that week after week, instead of just trying your hardest each week.

@greg67 a)maybe don't go max reps, failure -1. This is because you can accumulate more volume across multiple sets.

b)like others have said supersets aren't that ideal for strength due to the quality of sets being not as good. If you still wanna save time I'd say do 1 set of pullups, rest 2 mins, 1 set of pike pushups, rest 2 mins. Should be okay. Obviously, do that for all.

c)If you have weight you could probably start adding load especially if you're getting to 8-10 reps.

d)if you've been using the same grip for more than 8 weeks, switch your grip up

e)could also up frequency to 3x a week and ditch the last superset

When you say cardio, what kinda cardio are you doing? Are you doing HIIT or some kinda circuit thing? Generally with that stuff it takes more of a toll on your recovery and can hinder performance overall in your strength training. Low intensity cardio like jogging, walking, swimming is better when strength is the goal

Generally HIIT can interfere with strength training because it just takes more out of your

@john0733 Thank you!!

Cardio is 1h on the elliptical, mostly. I love HIIT but don‘t do it because of the reasons you mentioned. I also go for a walk every day, so I get my low intensity training but the cardio session is with a higher (not highest, though) intensity.

Back