I’m confused about protein… 🫤

@cdlara381 I have not read those studies so I cannot speak to them. What I think is our bodies will not use more protein than 6-7% of the calories we eat, so why try to force something that is never going to happen?

Something I know about muscles is they are made primarily out of fast and slow twitch muscle fibers. Both type get stronger the more you use them, but only the fast twitch fibers get bigger. If you want to SEE your muscles grow, do your exercises at a fast pace. Genetics and which muscles they are will determine if you have more fast or slow twitch muscle fibers, but figure you have roughly a 50/50 split of each type. If you want smaller, but still strong muscles, exercise at a slow pace.

Muscle is also an active tissue that requires calories, even when you're at rest. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns in a day just being here. Eating more protein/calories than you need is not how you can loose weight. I did not read a study to know that - I just lived the last 55 years.

@markozy It doesn’t even help with muscle retention when on a caloric deficit? Like if I focus more on protein while being on a caloric deficit, it makes no difference to muscle rentention? Because the more muscle I keep the easier it is to burn the excess body fat too like you said in your reply.

@cdlara381 Nearly all whole plant foods are over 7% protein. If you're eating enough food to stay alive and are able to get out of bed and live your life you are getting enough protein. Add a block of tofu, some rice & beans, maybe a peanut butter & jelly sandwich to your daily diet ensures you're fine on the protein side. About tofu - I was vegan for 30 years before I found out about tofu presses. Clamping a block of tofu in it, pressing some water out over 30-90 minutes definitely gives that block of solid soy milk more texture & body than even freezing it. Takes a lot less time to.

I have read that dieting to lose weight (limiting your calories) also loses muscle mass. How much protein you eat has less effect than do you use your muscles, are you active? I'd bet staying active will save more muscle mass than consuming an extra scoop of Dr Incredible's Magic Muscle Mass Maker.

@markozy Yeah I’ve heard some influencers say that too, although it’s very rare, usually the influencers say eat protein, but one or two have actually said that it’s more important to just stimulate the muscles (exercise them) to keep them growing and maintained than focusing on eating protein powders and other supplements. Hmm… I’ll have to see how I go with my energy levels and recovery from exercise as I go along. I’ll focus more whole foods, and eat more protein if I actually feel like I need it.

@cdlara381 0.7 to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you’re in that range, you’re good to go. You can convert it, I’m not going to.

It doesn’t matter where the protein comes from. Whole Foods are more satiating but it may just be too filling. Protein powder is a convenient and easy addition.

Back