I am in desperate need of help

eldertimy

Going back to the gym. Need desperate help!

I thought I posted it but the nurse came in my hospital room so I don’t know if I deleted it or accidentally erased it but I’m going to repost it. My doctor actually just cleared me to go work out again after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis three years ago I was paralyzed from the neck down and I had to take heavy steroids which packed on the weight which only made things worse. Although I was a person that went to the gym frequently home before this I really didn’t know what I was doing I was just getting on a lift to go and doing it for 45 minutes I didn’t do weights I just basically did cardio. I’m a 37 female I’m 5’7 n and I weigh 211 according to the hospital scale but 201 cording to the home scale. If anyone would be so kind to put a starting routine and I want to do cardio five times a week at 45 minutes and then weights every other day I go to the gym for cardio to begin because I don’t want to overwhelm myself. So I can re-join my old gym and I get a free YMCA gym membership

@eldertimy Hey, glad you're doing good now and welcome back. I can suggest you start easy since you've been out of the gym for some time, Darebee has a lot of great programs and workouts sorted by categories easy, normal, hard, very hard... They have programs specifically made for beginners. I would recommend you start one just for the first month or two until you get used to it. They have everything, cardio, hiit, yoga, flexibility, strength... I myself go there some times to do some challenges and stuff. I have no association with them nor I am promoting them just so you don't think I'm self-promoting or something.

@dawn16 I’m not exactly doing well for as I was on my neurologist’s off right I collided snd I am admitted got five days of steroids. lol I don’t think you were promoting! I need all the help I need. I’m lucky that I was physically fit prior to the strokes and MS. I see people at treatments my age in wheelchairs and are totally dependent on their caretaker. It plus two strokrs? God hates me .

@eldertimy I'd recommend using the circuit trainer at the gym for the weight training part. There is a woman I met at my gym who has MS, and she does the circuit trainer because it's cheaper to have a gym membership than to do regular physical therapy.

I also use the circuit trainer, and what I like about it is that the machines are designed to help you keep good form.

As for the cardio piece, that largely depends on what you like to do, as well as what your MS will allow you to do, but maybe start with something like cycling. The elliptical gives a lot of bang for your buck in terms of calorie burn, but it can be hard to get into. The first time I got on the elliptical I could only do 2 and a half minutes, but I was able to work up to a good workout over time.

Best of luck to you, I hope you can get into a good routine that works for you soon.

Back