I cant lift more than 10 kilos in bicep curls. It’s been like this for 8 months

@gigibraun You can adjust the program to suit your needs. Or pull back a bit on the compounds to leave yourself some gas at the end.

I feel like there’s more to the story for OP, and maybe they’re not fuelling their body properly, or they are limiting themselves in other ways. Mechanically, form-wise etc.

@vincentleo What sort of biceps curls are you doing? While all the rest of the advice in this thread is correct (the protein, the sleep, not always training to failure) there is something else everyone else seems to be missing.

When I’m stuck on a particular weight on a particular exercise, I start doing a different exercise with the same muscle group. If you’ve been doing traditional bicep curls for 10kg 3x10 for 8 months, your body is just used to the movement, the rep range and the weight.

Consider doing some cable curls, hammer curls, seated curls or preacher curls. Or all of the above.

Also, are you stuck at the 3x10 rep range? Have you tried doing 12 or 15 reps at the same weight? Have you tried 12.5kg for 3x8? 15kg 3x5?

Progressive overload or shocking the muscle with drop sets will also likely stimulate growth.

@maksutov Regular bicep curls. Yeah it’s the 3x10 rep range. I thought it was bad to use heavier until I could do 10 with 10 kilos.
I’m going to try some other exercises for a while

@vincentleo So do you never get to 10? Or do you get 10 the first set? The 2nd set? Do you lose it on the 3rd?

This is the problem with static rep sets. They're only good if you're deliberately not pushing yourself to failure. If you truly push a set to failure, you are NOT going to get the same reps in the second set. If you truly failed every set, it would look more like 10 reps, then maybe 8 reps, then maybe 6.

I recommend trying something like Steve Shaw's "rep goal system". Instead of static sets, pick a rep range, say 8-12, then a goal total number of reps you want to reach after those sets. For 3 sets at 8-12, 30 is a good one. But it can be whatever you want.

Then you stop worrying about hitting a specific number every set, and instead work each set like you are going to die if you don't exceed a total of 30. One time you get 11, then 9, then 7. That's 27. Maybe next time you get 11 then 10 then 7. Good. 28. One day you get 12 then 10 then 8. 30. Then a week or 2 later you get 13 then 10 then 8. That's 31. NOW you increase the weight and start all over again.

An approach like this encourages true failure instead of taking it easy for 2 sets so you're sure you can still get 10 on the third. Or pushing yourself till death to get 10 the first set then expecting to get the same number same weight next time.

@swhite I have hit 10 like one or two time. And it’s exactly as you describe it. I can do more on the first sets than less on the second and then even less on the last one.

Ok so I could do like 8, 6 and 4 and then go on to the next weight? Or?

@vincentleo I think you need to pick a progression scheme and stick with it, at least for an extended period. Your example makes sense if you're doing the Rep Goal System and your goal is 18 reps. Maybe your goal is to be able to at least get 10 on the third set? What I actually do is use my first set. If my rep range is say, 8-12, I'll pick a weight I can do about 8 times. I'll use drop sets (lower weight) to stay in the range if needed on the following sets. By the time I can hit 13-14 reps comfortably on the first set, move up in weight. Been doing this like 2 years.

Of course plateaus eventually happen. When they do you just need to try what others have suggested here. Maybe add more volume, more sets. Or more frequency. Try new variations, maybe even take a break from the stalled lift and come back later.

@gigibraun Honestly I don’t know the exact science behind it. What I do know is that the human body is adaptable. If you keep doing the same workouts, same rep range, same weight you’ll get diminishing returns.

@vincentleo Concentrate more on back work and pulling movements than the curl , which is a small fry /isolation / accessory movement anyway . And if you do want to curl , something like a low incline curl that recruits more muscle fibres is the way to go.