I did GtG with weighted dead bugs for 3 months and got a lot of core strength gains

jeanvaljean

My abs used to be very weak. I couldn't even hold the middle position of a sit-up for a few seconds without having my lower back bend backwards untill i worked my abs with dead bugs. So i wasn't able to do most ab exercises. But, now i can even hold a hollow hold for almost a minute while keeping my back perfectly flat. (No, i don't have visible abs. They are hidden under some unnecessary fat)

I especially focused on my form. With each rep, i paused at the bottom position, activated my glute to deactivate my hip flexors, exhaled and pushed my ribs in. I kept my back flat and kept my pelvic posteriorly tilted. Doing a good form makes the dead bugs significantly harder.

Now i suggest everyone with weak abs to do a lot of dead bugs. It is probably the best exercise for people with weak abs.

@thaplongtho Grease the groove. You work out with short reps throughout the day. In this example they probably did deadbugs/hollow hold for 10/20/XX secs at every hour during the waking day

@aballa Oh okay. I had a question too.. I’m following the rr only rn
So the only core exercises I do are ab rollouts, Copenhagen planks and reverse hyperextensions? Are those enough?

@thaplongtho I believe the deadbugs are for warmups during the RR and if you want anything more try to add weights to what you're doing. The progressive workouts app on Android has the RR with all progression work on it if you have Android hardware.

Maybe handstands can be added to your offdays for extra work and if you're able to handle it.

@blueliti Save a second in typing, leave dozens of people wondering what each acronym means. Acronyms are forever bad style unless used on a concept that was already used in the same text and marked as such.

@thaplongtho Like the others said. Deadbugs are in the warmup of the RR :p

If they are too easy check out hollow body hold or even hollow body rocks. You will feel your core trust me haha.

If you want more intense core focus check out youtube big names like FitnessFAQ, CalisthenicMovement etc.

Or do leg raises. I do hanging leg raises instead of the planks in the RR.

@dawn16 is this a question of equipment? i wanna share what i did! i got two dining area chairs, put one facing the side and another facing me. i put my yoga mat on top of it so i dont sweat it up and added padding, adjust until your legs get full ROM.