I did GtG with weighted dead bugs for 3 months and got a lot of core strength gains

@anonymosib Mike Robertson (online fitness personality and athletic coach based off Indiniapolis, a big advocate of the exercise) says it teaches the person to "disassociate the trunk from the pelvis." But a good pre-requisite for a deadbug, I think is a solid abdominal brace. In that regard the McGill curl-up makes a solid regression to the deadbug (or a solid stand-alone anterior core exercise even imo)

@anonymosib It engages your transverse abdomninis and teaches you to maintain core rigidity while your limbs are moving. Pause in the extended position for a few secs on every rep and you’ll feel it all over your core. I mainly use it as a warmup currently.

@jeanvaljean Dead bugs should be, IMHO, the first abdominal exercise a person masters before any other. Learning to use your TA properly is essential to avoiding injury and being able to express strength.

@jeanvaljean I’ve seen a number of different versions. Which were you doing? And what do you suggest if you can’t keep your lower back against the floor as you lower your legs?

@dawn16 I lower one leg and one arm at opposite sides, and i keep my arms and legs straigth.

To keep your lower back flat, activate your transverse abdominis and rectus abdominis, and push your lower back to the floor before lowering your leg. Doing some stomac vacuums and cat-cows to warm up and improve the mind-muscle connection on your core helps with it. Also, do the variation with straight legs.

@jeanvaljean Thank you! If I get to the point when lowering my leg/arm that my lower back arches off the floor, do you suggest just practicing with just that range of motion until I become stronger, or going through the entire thing anyway?