I don’t like lifting 😔

My goals are to gain strength, looks come second!

i LOVE cardio. Running, hiking, biking, swimming - I love the endorphins, I 100% get runner’s high and I have been very happy with my physical fitness as a result of my cardio habit.

But, I’d really like to get stronger. I went through a health episode that made me lose an extreme amount of muscle (and weight in general), and now that I am completely recovered and have been back into my workout routine for about a year now, I’d really like to work on building back my muscle and strength. Only problem is I hate lifting! I find it very boring and unrewarding, I know I haven’t given it a fair shot or enough time to see results, but I find it hard to justify using 30min of my 1hr workout (can’t workout much more than an hour a day due to work and school schedule) to lifting when I find cardio more enjoyable.

How can I learn to like lifting? Should I just force myself to do it, or should I gradually incorporate it into my workouts? If anyone else has felt like this, how did you get into lifting? Are there any strength training exercises that are more cardio based that have the same/similar results to just straight lifting? Thanks y’all! 🌱

@ajewelinhiscrown There’s other activities that build muscle other than lifting! Maybe try calisthenics or rock climbing! If you’re set on lifting, maybe do a group lifting class so that you feel more mentally engaged

@phoonsawadoam Also came here to suggest rock climbing. Bonus points, because once you get into rock climbing, you'll have a reason to start additional strength training when you plateau and need more strength to improve your climbing.

@phoonsawadoam I’ve been climbing consistently for only about 6 months now (mostly bouldering), and my arms have started to look really nice lately 😎 and I feel strong too

@ajewelinhiscrown Many roads lead to Rome when it comes to building muscle/strength. There is the most efficient way to do it is the traditional strength/bodybuilding work. But if you really hate that, don't force yourself to do it. Other things can build strength and muscle just fine (especially if you're not trying to be a bodybuilder/powerlifter/whatever) that you'd probably find more fulfilling. Some examples: calisthenics/street workout, CrossFit, plyometrics, hand-balancing, strength-oriented yoga, strength-endurance challenges like lunging for a mile (this can really improve your running!) or 100 pushups in 10 minutes, etc.

You don't even have to do any of the above. Strength is a skill. Find a few skills you think are really cool that you want to get good at and work on those 2-3 times per week.

@ajewelinhiscrown I think for people that need/have to lift some weights but prefer cardio the answer is weighted circuit training. Kettlebells work excellently for this but you can use dumbbells or even a barbell. I've been helping my coworker lose weight and we do 3 kettlebell days and 3 cardio days a week. As mentioned it won't be the most efficient way to build muscle but it will do it, in addition to still keeping up the heart rate if you're using light enough weight, doing enough reps and keeping rest time down.

@ajewelinhiscrown Think of it this way - lifting weights helps you become a better runner. My half marathon times from last year to this year are much better once I incorporated few weight sessions (full body) into my training block. This is the way.

@ajewelinhiscrown Alot was already covered by other commenters but what I can recommend is.. well I forgot the fancy word for it but its when you pair an unpleasant activity with an pleasant one. For example you listen to your fav podcast only when lifting (for some just a good playlist is enough but I figured you tried this already) or you watch a show you like during your workout. Maybe treat yourself with some dessert on days you had a workout. The goal is to associate the bad activity with the good one making it easier to form a habit. Only consistency leads to results so if it helps you establish a routine long enough, the progress and the visible results add more motivation on top.

@ajewelinhiscrown You sound a lot like me. I got really into kettlebells as a result! You get a lot of great cardio in a short amount of time while building strength. The lifting style is fun and takes some skill and training to develop. I always feel super-engaged in the workouts and can really push myself in building endurance. Plus, you only need like 1 or 2 kettlebells for your home and you can work out in a relatively small space. I learned the basics by just watching Instagram videos, but since then I found a kettlebell coach in my area and I'm training for my first competition. Highly recommend it.

@ajewelinhiscrown Bodyweight exercises are always fun, things like pull-ups and burpees, pushups etc. You get to learn fun tricks like L-sits and V-sits too. I find calisthenics very motivating because you look cool doing it.

Also, I really really recommend animal flow. It's fun to do, looks and feels playful and wears you out a ton.

@ajewelinhiscrown As a fellow cardio-lover who’s aiming for more (lean) mass, I get it. I used to lift more but didn’t like how much time I was having to dedicate to a complex, varied workout routine. Since then I’ve switched to bodyweight fitness, calisthenics and rock climbing. Probably in the best shape of my life right now, or very close to it.

I do care about my physique, and I try to focus on compound exercises. If you’re like me and you want to develop a simple routine that still yields results (with proper diet, of course) check out kboges on YT. Total game changer.

@ajewelinhiscrown Try some bodyweight exercises if you are into that -- I don't have the mental dedication to police myself and exercise that way regularly. One program you might look into is

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

You only need to learn/remember 5 compound exercises, and you do 3 per workout. The program has its flaws, but it will add muscle to your skeleton pretty quickly. Might be worth a look. good luck!

@ajewelinhiscrown One thing that really helped me, especially in the beginning, was to go with a friend that had experience. They will keep you on track, help motivate you and keep an eye on your form. If you don’t have a friend that can do this, then a trainer would be helpful.

@ajewelinhiscrown Just to add to what people are already saying, consider exercise selection. I lift 6-7 days a week, sometimes things get stale etc. So ill try new lifts pretty much every few months or rotate stuff i do like. It can really help freshen stuff up. You can apply progressive overload in many different ways.

You mention you enjoy running and difficult cardio, maybe you also aren’t lifting “hard enough” to trigger these same endorphins. Look into “myo rep” style training. It can be absolutely brutal.