I feel I’m too short for my gym’s power rack

@dreis Bad idea! Unracking a heavy squat and fumbling backwards onto a plate is a recipe for disaster. Are you sure you won't trip walking backwards onto a step with 100+ pounds on your back?

@sophie22 I wish I was squatting 100+. I’m at 75 for now. But yes, I had t thought about the mechanics until now. Thanks for the safety heads up. Someone above mentioned the aerobics step things too. Now I’m seeing the bad idea.

@magnusnr I’ve definitely hit the bar before on my way down. If you’re in that situation, you can squat outside of the squat rack so the spotter arms aren’t in the way. Unless you’re lifting so heavy that you’re not confident you’ll be able to stand up, you don’t have to have a spotter. Worst case scenario, maybe you could consider doing front squats, so it’s easier to drop the bar if you’re struggling?

@dawn16 I started outside the rack when I first started but quickly got nervous just because I’m fairly new at squatting. I’ve never done front squats but I can look up form, etc. Thanks for your help!