I feel like my PT is pushing me too hard. How do I tell him this?

allroads

Hi guys, any advice is appreciated. I [26F] signed up to work with a PT for 12 months, 3x a week with a plan that involves 3x a week of weight lifting with him plus 150 reps of ab workout after that and then 37 mins of uphill treadmill cardio 6x a week.
Issues:
1) the weights he has me doing is the hardest I've ever done and I can barely just do all the reps.
2) i feel like throwing up after most workouts
3) when I do the uphill treadmill there's always a problem w/ my body (ie. I lose feeling in my leg, pull a muscle)
4) diet plan asks me to literally eat straight up lean proteins/veg with some carbs like oatmeal/rice. Issue is I have to eat 5 meals total a day, every 3 hours. My body is rejecting this bc it can't eat all that food and I feel so full most of the time.
5) I'm just so exhausted from all this. I definitely want to be healthy, be able to weight lift, etc. But I wasn't hoping to become a body builder from this.

How can I approach these concerns with him and do you think I'm overreacting? He says I'm doing a good job and I really am trying my best.

LT;DR: workout plan is overwhelming for my body and I'm asked to eat so much my body rejects it. I also can just barely do workouts/feel like barfing after. How do I approach these topics with him? Or am I just overreacting? Thanks!

@allroads If you just started, after 2-3 weeks, your body will start getting used to it. But if you are hurting yourself or pulling a muscle, let the PT know.

@allroads Since you don’t mention what your goals are, and we don’t know what physical condition you are in, and we don’t know how many reps you are doing, and because you feel like throwing up after each workout, it’s best to talk to your family physician. Don’t let the PT’s ego drive the bus.

@allroads be honest and just tell him. it can be much worse not to tell him. if he dismisses you then you're obviously not a good fit for each other.

@allroads Trainer here, Nothing about what you've described (minus abs) seems wrong, depending on your current stats and goals, without knowing where you are now as far as bodyfat, weight, end goals etc, it's hard to say if it's overkill or not. Training (correctly) isn't easy, it's hard as hell, and many times you want to drag yourself out of the gym by your face, which is normal, and for us gym rats, a great feeling!

With THAT said, if that's not actually sustainable for you, it will ultimately fail. I'll start by saying the 150reps is a little much on abs, training them a couple times a week (correctly) but heavy is the better way. Other than that, most people work with a trainer for the accountability and somebody to push them further than they would push themselves. How long have you been doing this? If it's been over a month, they I'd say you ARE capable of that load. But again, your call in the end.

diet plan asks me to literally eat straight up lean proteins/veg with some carbs like oatmeal/rice. Issue is I have to eat 5 meals total a day, every 3 hours. My body is rejecting this bc it can't eat all that food and I feel so full most of the time.

Can I assume from the diet you're currently underweight? Are you tracking your macro intake? Do you know how much you're taking in as far as calories, fats and proteins? Knowing that will show if it's really too much, or if you have a lack of appetite despite the work you're putting in, which usually indicates a slowed metabolism, which is corrected by doing what you're doing. Also, if your fats are too low, that'll screw you with both recovery, and hormonally. Key things aside from getting a look at your daily macros as that will be very telling, are you losing fat? gaining fat? Clothes fitting better? Lifts going up?

I'm just so exhausted from all this. I definitely want to be healthy, be able to weight lift, etc. But I wasn't hoping to become a body builder from this.

I can assure you even from what you said, you're not being trained like and actual bodybuilder, you're good there!

How can I approach these concerns with him and do you think I'm overreacting? He says I'm doing a good job and I really am trying my best.

Safe to say he's tracking your progress, that's an awesome sign! If he's not changing things, telling you to eat more or less food, that a sign you're progressing as he hoped.

@dawn16 Hi, thank you for responding. It's only week 2 of this program. I'm actually overweight but I guess my previous diet didn't have as much protein in it. I'm also going through some things mentally so when I get emotional I can't eat. I know it's usually the other way around for most people. I also just got off medication that causes weight gain/slowed metabolism so my body is adjusting to that as well. I'm looking to lose fat, gain muscle. I want to be lean and mean! Lol. I am tracking my macros with chronometer app. Its why I went off the super strict diet plan to still stay within macros (for example eating high protein, low fat chili instead of 4oz of chicken breast with 5oz of broccoli).

I don't want to let him down, but more importantly myself down. I really am trying I'm not trying to sound like someone making excuses. I am doing the cardio 6x a week but when my muscle begins to hurt I go at a lower incline/lower speed for example. Chili instead of the chicken/veggie for example. So moderate changes that go off the plan but not extreme like avoiding exercise/eating junk.

@allroads I might be against the grain, but maybe ask him to tone it down. Even if other people do this kind of workout, that doesnt mean it’s the right workout for -you-. This is a personal trainer yeah? So not a copy and paste trainer. I have been working with a trainer for over a year, but i started below average fitness, scoliosis, asthma, etc., so my workouts are much much slower/less intense than what you describes, however ive 100% been progressing toward my goals.

If this feels like too much, maybe ask him how to reduce something. You dont want to burn out or get injured after all.

Also, how long are your sessions with him? The cardio along is 240 minutes a week (4 hours), tackle on 1.5-3hrs of your PT, that makes it about 6 hours a week. How much did you do before the PT? That sounds like A LOT for a beginner starting out.

@87hunter Well idk what else to do besides slow down the cardio the moment I feel sharp pain or lose sensation in my leg. As for the weight lifting workouts, yes sometimes a muscle is slightly pulled but nothing I can't handle. I just feel slightly uncomfortable feeling like I'm going to vomit after each workout. But as others said maybe I need to get used to it?

@allroads I think talk to him to maybe have another rest day, or reduce the intensity. You shouldnt be training so hard you lose sensation/feel like vomitting.

And you didnt answer my questions, of how long you spend with hum working out, or if you worked out before. 6 hours a week is a lot for a beginner.

@87hunter I'm a beginner yeah although I've exercised on my own some. I do about 45-60 mins with him 3x a week, 37 mins of cardio 6x a week plus 150 ab reps after each workout with him.

@allroads You’re the one paying him, it’s okay to say that you want to ease up a little bit if you’re feeling like it’s too intense. Any decent trainer will understand that you won’t stick with a program that makes you feel miserable, and that you don’t have to nearly make yourself vomit in order to improve your fitness levels. I’m sure some people will disagree but not everyone has the same goals and can use the same methods. If you realize he’s one of those “pain is weakness leaving the body!!” dudes, it’s okay to find a new trainer.

@allroads I'm beginner, and working out on my own. With super tiny weight.

Even with my flexible easy training, I found myself needing way more rest.

The amount of protein total a day atleast 50g for me (the math is 0,8-1gram x kg body weight), and I've been gaining biceps few millimeter everyday.
So not eating alot.

Reading your post, I feel like you need to tell your PT especially about throwing up or numbs or pain, that sounds not good to me.

@allroads Every PT has a different opinion on what's good/right for you. Something to think about is should enjoyment be a part of the process ? I have aspects of my training I find challenging and I ache most days but if I was miserable and in actual pain constantly I don't think it would be sustainable. Food again I need to be able to look forward to it and enjoy it. I could not do that eating 5 times a day. When you say lose sensation In your legs that sounds unhealthy, maybe start with that, discussion wise. I love a strict trainer but it all has to make sense for my body or I don't make progress.

@allroads I feel ya man. Also, you won’t really hit your potential unless you’re really pushing. I’m a little guy and was in an airborne unit in the army so I understand feeling overworked. But I honestly didn’t realize what I was actually capable of until I got pushed past my comfort zone, then my safety threshold and I remember watching myself do things my brain was telling me I couldn’t do while I was doing them. A trainer pushing hard is good with one caveat- understanding when you’re tired and when you’re injured. Don’t train injured. Other than that, jump on the gain train mama. If it sucks slam a scoop of pre workout lol 😉

@allroads hard to say unless you tell us an example of one days or one weeks worth or training. like # of sets in an exercise, how many reps, and how close you are to failure. and how many mins of rest between sets

i agree w the other person that the abs is insane. its a muscle like any other ans can be trained the same way w progressive overload. no need to do the popular ab circuits. the routine youll actually stick w is the one you enjoy

feeling like actual nausea should not be normal, but that could be due to too much food before a workout? idk. or not enough water.

and theres a difference between lactic acid pain, muscle fatigue, and an actual sudden pinching pain. the last one should be avoided but the first two are relatively normal and usually beginners are just not used to it. but if you feel that the pain is debilitating or actually concerning, trust your gut