I have no idea how to keep going

flameinthesnow

I (30 F) want to be healthier, I have an office job and I'm sitting for at least 8 hours a day. I have noticed that I have become so tired after my day job, and I physically can't do anything after work. I don't think it's normal, and I always say I want to workout, but I have no self accountability. I pay for a semi-private trainer 2X a week but I go only once if that. My alarm goes off at 5 am and I can't get up, and it's not because I haven't slept or I am still sleepy, but because I literally talk myself out of it. I don't know why i do it, because it's a sort of self-sabotage, and whenever I don't go to the gym I don't feel good about it, and I don't even go back to sleep I just feel shitty afterwards. However, I must not feel shitty enough because I keep doing this every single week. It's like I get some form anxiety over me, and I just let it take over me. I am so tired of this, I am at my heaviest ever, and I don't even feel like myself anymore. I really need help, what can I do?

@flameinthesnow I’d say find something you actually like to do. The gym isn’t for everyone. I got really really into hiking over Covid, and I wanted to go farther and be stronger to do harder trails. THAT gave me incentive to go to the gym or do a workout at home.

So find that thing you like doing that’s an activity. Be it hiking, soccer, batminton, rugby whatever. Just find something that makes your body move and do that. Forcing yourself to do something you don’t like isn’t going to work.
And I’m just like you, I refuse to get up so early and I’d rather just go straight home than the gym. So instead I do home workouts to build strength and hike when I can.

I recently started going to the gym cause I’m interested in powerlifting and getting even stronger for hiking.

Hope you find your thing!

@flameinthesnow Take preworkout try c4 first if that doesn’t give you the motivation and kick go online and buy psychotic gold blend from insane labs I got a promo code for 60% off dm me and I’ll send it

@flameinthesnow Yes I take psychotic it’s not a beginner pre workout but you feel pumped to do anything very big difference I suggest starting with c4 see how you feel then moving up if you do want to start with psychotic I will warn you to start with half a scoop and dm me for the promo code

@flameinthesnow I literally struggled with the same thing until up last week. I would set my alarm to get up at 5am just talk myself out of it. I would make plans. I would change my alarm title to things like “just get up bitch” lol. Nothing worked. Just recently, it dawned on me that I talked too much about what I wanted to do instead of just doing it. I complained about my health and physique but was doing nothing about it. I got tired of lying to myself. I got tired of telling ppl what I planned to do and never doing it, and realized that the magical feeling of finally feeling the energy to go to the gym will never come. You literally just have to do it. Get out the bed when your alarm goes off, groggy and tired. Splash some cold water on your face and get dressed. It helps to take your gym clothes out before bed. Just do it. The liberating feeling you get after you’re done and the satisfaction of getting it out the way and not having to worry about it later is amazing. You can do it. Not to mention, the results. My day flows better when I get up early and go, too.

@flameinthesnow Maybe you just find it too boring? That's one of my problem with gyms.

Also that my body seems to flat-out refuse to spend energy without an immediate purpose. Cycling 30 minutes to/from work? No problem. Cycling 30 minutes in the gym? NO.

I don't have a solution, sorry. I'm still looking for a way to cheat my brains into the gym too.

@flameinthesnow You can get up. You can GET UP! GET UP. go do it! All the hours in the day are going to pass by whether or not you try to make a difference in yourself. It's not about motivation, it's about discipline. I don't care how many people I need to say that to.

@flameinthesnow See if your trainer is willing to give you something to do outside of a gym. They should be able to come up with a program that may work better for you. If you're already paying them, it can't hurt to ask.

Another thing you can do, that is, in theory, easy to do, is just to walk a little more. You'll have to make the conscious decision to do it, but walking is a fantastic, low-impact exercise that you can do just about anywhere. If you don't have to sit at lunch, don't: pack a sandwich and munch on it while walking around your office building, or lunch room, or whatever space you can. Beyond that, just getting up when your alarm goes off and walking around your house a few times is still better than nothing. Or walking around outside if the day is nice. Baby steps are still steps, you know? Anything to get you started can get you in the habit as long as you stick with it, and from there, you can add more as you start to feel better.

However, beyond exercise, you may want to consider seeing a therapist. If something is well and truly holding you back from acting on your want to exercise, it may not hurt to talk to a professional about it and see if there is anything to your mental block. If there isn't, then you'll know that and can move on! If there is, then the therapist can help you through it. I wish I could say more, but unfortunately, with exercise: ain't nothing to it but to do it. I wish you the best of luck with it, though!

@everlastinggift Thank you for your thoughtful response, it means a lot. Unfortunately because my trainer is semi-private we don't leave the gym as he works with other people besides me at the same time.

I am going to give the walking more a try, I'll try to do more steps than I normally do. I think it'll help!

I am working with a therapist, and hopefully I can get to the bottom of this soon because it sucks!