I lost 15lbs, I'm 5'7'' and 123 lbs, but I'm still a size 8. Can I do something about it?

I'm a 23 years old female, BTW.

Recently I thought I wasn't happy about how I looked and wanted to loose some fat, so I started a diet. I lost 15 lbs, no big deal.

Now I have a flat stomach and my thighs are slimmer, but my hips are STILL the fucking same size. I still can use the same jeans than before, they just fit bigger on my legs but stay ok on my hips, just with a little more wiggle room. But I didn't even went down a whole size.

My BMI right now is 19 so I really think I shouldn't loose a lot more weight, 2 lbs max, but I don't think that would make a difference neither so I don't see the point on it anyway.

Can I do something about it? I don't make any exercise at all right now, not even running. I couldn't join a gym (no money) but maybe in a few months.

EDIT: I wanted to thank everyone for all the fantastic comments! :D I x-posted here from r/fitness and I'm just so GLAD that I did, you all have been so nice at me. (/r/fitness could learn a thing or two... I suppose this post is to superficial for them?).

It seems that it's just genetics and my hips are here to stay. Forever. And ever. Some have recommended some programs like strong curves to try and change the body distribution, and I will try that when I can access a gym in a few months. Some have also recommended bodyweight fitness but I don't really like it (I'm too weak to do a lot of things with my bodyweight, and I always work better when I have an specific space to do something). As it will be just a few months until I can do it, I don't mind waiting. I will report if I get some results!

@accurateknowledge If you're feeling bone, it's nothing you can do, but you knew that. The good news is that you have a "problem" a lot of women would love to have.

For many of us, curvy hips are thanks to fat deposits. At a lower weight, hips will appear more narrow and the hourglass shape less pronounced. There's no way to "fix" this with exercise (you'll notice a lot of athletic women have wider thighs than hips.)

Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a straight figure or small hips (I'm not hippy myself) but if you choose to pursue a more athletic body, your bone structure will be an amazing asset.

@accurateknowledge Are you me? im 5'7, i naturally sit at 130 but i frequently will diet down to 124. my measurements are 34-26-38 and literally nothing ever changes. like my butt is always huge no matter what, plus my thighs are always 22 inches or more. It sucks! Even after spending 1 whole year running 10ks and weight lifting I only lost 1 inch all over.

@accurateknowledge You probably have some lovely child bearing hips. It's just the way your pelvis and bones are. Can't do anything about it :)

Perhaps though finding a different brand of jeans that are geared toward smaller waist and wider hips? You probably got a great hourglass shape though! But it's just your anatomy. Some are built like a straight ruler, some not so much

@accurateknowledge To add on to what people here have been saying: this is almost certainly about your bone structure, as in, your actual skeleton / bony pelvis is the limiting factor.

Put your hands on your upper hips and push in to where you feel bone. No amount of exercise will narrow that width. Even if you were a skeleton, your hip width is going to be greater than someone who has genetic tendencies to narrower hips. Just like how you have a longer femur than someone who is 5'1.

If you're curious about pelvic shapes, for more info, check out Caldwell-Moloy classification. Your shape is based on genetic factors and nutrition during skeletal development. If you've got a Gynecoid pelvis, your hip size is going to be different from someone of the same size with an Android pelvis.

@accurateknowledge I carry all my weight in my hips/arse and although I'm a size 8/10 (UK) on top I'm never ever going to be lower than a size 10 in trousers, for them to be comfortable I prefer a 12. My hips are just wide. Like some people have broad shoulders, others have broad hips.

I've held size 6 - 8 trousers up to my body and my hip bones sit outside the waist band so even if I was 100lbs soaking wet at 5ft 6 I'd still not fit in them. Tis what t'is.

@accurateknowledge I'm 5'8", 24 years old & weigh 148lbs and I wear a size 8. My hips are 34.5" and waist is 27". I'm surprised you wear an 8 being almost 30lbs lighter than me. Must just be how you carry your weight? Either way I think a size 8 is perfectly acceptable, if that is what fits you best then so be it! :)

@accurateknowledge It could be a) your bone structure and how you naturally carry weight or b) the pant size of the clothing brands you wear

There's nothing wrong with wearing an eight and being a taller than average lady

@abosie It's the a), definitely. The pant size thing I just wanted to say that I didn't lose much hips width because my olds jeans still fit. They are 41 inch, pant size aside.

So yeah, I will have to just keep my wider than average stubborn hips.

@accurateknowledge Clothing sizes for women are ridiculous. I wear anything from a size 6-12 depending on brand, they are all so different. Take your measurements, go by those instead of the number on your clothes. It'll make you feel better and give you a more accurate set of goals.

@accurateknowledge Can't change your bone structure. If you do booty work (glute raises, squats, lunges, etc) it'll give you a lift if you feel like your butt is not up to par but 41 in hips are not big for 5'7, it will lend to a smaller looking waist:)