I lost 15lbs, I'm 5'7'' and 123 lbs, but I'm still a size 8. Can I do something about it?

@accurateknowledge Focusing on clothing size is just a waste of time. Think more in terms of health and what you can do with your body. If you have wide hips due to bone structure, you can't change that.

@gloryglo I agree, I'm 5'10 and about 130. I'm never going to be less than a size 6 or so just due to my bone structure. When I was in high school I was self-conscious about clothing size because my friends wore a size 2 or whatever - but I was like a 7 inches taller than them so of course my hips were wider!! Numbers can really mess with your mind.

@gloryglo I don't really mind using a size or other (I don't feel bad buying it or something), but it was a way to say that 15 lbs down and they are STILL as wide as before. Damn it. The whole purpose of loosing the weight was to loose some hip width, but it looks that they are more stubborn than me.

The thing is that I still have some fat there (hello muffin top) but If I loose more weight I will be dangerously close to being underweight.

@accurateknowledge If it makes you feel better, these days that's not a size 8 in most north american stores. There is so much vanity sizing! My hips are 40" and when I buy shorts they are size 2, sometimes, very rarely 4.
I wear 36-38 in Europe and if I'm buying anything but pants (skirts, tops, dresses) I'm a size 0 and sometimes even 00.

Muffin tops I find is more of an issue with buying bottoms that are too tight.

@actsofvalor Oh really? I had no idea! I just googled a size chart and there my size 40 was an american size 8. Sometimes I have a 38, but it depends so much on the store. I haven't actually tried american sizes. If you are a size 2 I suppose I would actually be a size 4? Or so. Well, now I get all that "vanity sizing" I'm always reading about on reddit.

You are right about the muffin tops, but there is just a really small line between muffin top and annoying falling jeans.

@accurateknowledge It's definitely vanity sizing. When I (in Europe) looked up my size 10 years ago I was pretty much a classic size 8, or even a 10. I'm probably bigger now and sizes have changed so much. There have been times when the smallest size in the store hasn't fit me, and there's not set standard for these sizes.

Oh I agree, part of why I wear more skirts than pants. And high wasted jeans are so unflattering on me and usually wont fit my wide hips anyway.

@actsofvalor You make our own clothes? That's so cool! Lately I have been thinking about learning at least to fix my clothes, I would absolutely love to be able to do them.

Here a 36 is the typical thin size, I don't know anyone who wears less than a 34. It also depends on the store, of course, some are bigger than others.
It also explains why I'm always reading about people wearing a 0 or a 00, and I'm like... really? is it that normal there? That's being really really small here.

@gloryglo I agree completely. I'm roughly OP's size (5'8", 140 lbs so a little bigger for now, size 8), and even at my thinnest when I was 125-130 as a teenager I couldn't fit a size down with any regularity. My hips are too big, but I'm okay with that. It's not about numbers, it's about wearing clothes that fit and flatter your body.

@accurateknowledge You might be able to restructure your muscle distribution with a program like strong curves or running.Try not to focus on dress size but rather how you feel.

Some people's fat distribution is different, you might just have "dat booty". I've never been below a size 8 in my life even when I weighed less than you, I just carry all my weight in my hips but I have accepted that and now love my hip to waist ratio 30" waist 40 " hips? Um yeah no one gives a damn that I'm a size ten besides the sales people at the mall).

Back