I run 1.5miles a day. Could this be killing muscle mass?

nutzmctaffy

For context, I enjoy doing so. I do this before* weight training even though I know most people recommend doing it after, but I feel more energized and awakened after those 13/15 minutes.
It’s a 9 to 10 minutes a mile pace.
I try to hit my protein intake every day of 1.5grams x kg.

I’ve been losing weight. Like 7/8 pounds in 5 weeks, I’m hoping it’s all fat. I’d say I was about 20% bf before starting.

Edit: I run before weights

@nutzmctaffy It’s 1.5 miles a day. It has absolutely no negative effect on your muscle mass, and very minimal if any effect on your fat loss. That said, cardio is good for you heart, and any fitness activity you enjoy is usually one worth doing, so keep at it.

Edit: in response to your edit, 1.5 miles isn’t enough that it’s going to matter if you run before or after. If you want to be on the safe side, especially with leg day, run after, but it’s a marginal issue at best with that kind of mileage.

@jord1999 I said “minimal, if any,” not “absolutely none.” It’s 1.5 miles. So, maybe it’s ~150 calories burned. If OP isn’t precisely tracking his caloric intake or is otherwise sedentary, that could easily negate the fat loss benefit of the run.

@vic66 Normally I’d agree, with an exception. If you try crush a 1.5 mile run it becomes a challenge. Run it in 9:30-10 mins and tell me it isn’t intense haha 😂

@nutzmctaffy Sounds great. As long as you don’t feel sluggish in the gym, I’d say no. People talk about hormones from cardio wrecking havoc on muscle building, but it hasn’t really made a difference in studies. I will mention real quick that it will probably mean you’ll accumulate systemic fatigue faster though and need to deload a little bit more often, as long as you’re not compensating by sitting all day.

@nutzmctaffy No. You could run way way way more and it still would NOT kill your muscle mass or gains.

And even if it would make some small negative impact on muscle mass whilst losing weight, it shouldn't be huge concern because:
  1. You will gain all of it back very quickly when you turn to maintenance/gains phase
  2. The most important thing in your fitness journey is the enjoyment that you get from it. And because you FEEL awesome after it, it is the best thing for you to do!
If you are interested, I am currently running 40-70km per week and doing 3-7 strength sessions per week whilst gaining weight and it is obvious that muscle is building. Before that I was losing weight, running the same and did only 2-3 strength sessions per week. I did not lose muscle while doing that.

I do note, that this was just an anecdote, but it is supported by literature also.

Tldr; Running will not kill your gains. You should do whatever you enjoy the most.

@nutzmctaffy Try to space it 6 hours away from training if possible. High intensity cardio right before weights has shown in studies to have a negative impact on muscle hypertrophy.

Back