I started working out a month ago, but I am gaining weight instead of loosing

mrnarthex

I(24f) work out three times a week and go for walks every day, but I've gained weight instead of loosing weight.
I've been more mindful about food as well, I decreased my sugar intake a lot and I eat more greens now. 80% of my food is homemade. What am I doing wrong?

@mrnarthex Getting heavier is not the same as getting fatter.
If you're working out consistently, it is most likely that you are indeed gaining muscle mass and, during the process, losing fat. Since muscle mass is heavier than body fat, it is expected that you have more weight but less fat

@mrnarthex There is a point in the journey where you shouldn't look at the scale. Do your body measurements. If you can find a place with an inbody machine, try that out. I gained weight, turned out it was skeletal muscle mass. The scale is the lesser form or tracking compared to other methods.

@mrnarthex You could still be eating too much. Eating "healthier" doesn't mean you'll lose weight.

But don't sweat it, because at the end of the day, consistency and discipline is key. Don't get discouraged.

@mrnarthex Grams are doesn't matter, but kcal which you are eating. You need to be on deficit to lose weight.

Example:

300g peanuts: ~1 701 Kcal

300g vegetables(cucumber, tomato etc): ~ 60 Kcal.

@divinejules Exactly. Counting calories isn't for everyone. It can get annoying and confusing. But I do recommend OP to try counting calories for 1-2 weeks. That way you'll at least get an idea for how much calories really is in the food you're eating.

I got that from the swedish "styrkelabbet" podcast. Basically, you'll go like "heyy, I didn't realise peanuts had this much kcal" and "omg ketchup has only 60 kcal in one portion" or something like that.

I've been counting calories for a long time now. Today, I can take a look at a meal and unless it contains tons of oil, I can visualize not only the calories, but the macros, to an accurate level. Just a humble brag.

kcal = kilocalories, or just calories (in everyday speech).

@ellis To add to this, once op gets it down, looks into something like macros Inc, and getting a free macros tracker and start counting macros. Something that I've always said and done is k.i.s.s (keep it simple stupid). It is very easy to get bogged down and say heck with it. Op you got this!

Edit: Grammer

@ellis Yes, at beginning it can be annoying to count calories, but it has to be done, to see effects. Ofc doing this all the time isn't easy but no one said it will be.

After some time OP will have and Idea how much calories food has.

Right now I know how much calories I get through the day without counting on app etc. Because I'ts easy to remember which food has more calories that other.

Vegetables are big friend when it comes to fat loss.

@mrnarthex You need to log every little thing in a app pr something. Its the calories that matter. Ypu might be eating 300 grams of nuts, and that is something like 1500 Kcal depending on what type of nuts. So you really need to look out for that. Good luck :)

@mrnarthex for me it was because of the muscle i had gained without knowing. i gained 8kg of muscle but lost fat. don’t attribute weight to fat :) muscle is suuuper dense, it was shocked myself. i almost cried that day, went to reddit and discovered i did actually get curvier, i have visible abs without tensing and my arms are huge and defined! all muscle!!

@mrnarthex One way to measure progress without looking at the scale is to take pictures! As people are saying, muscle is heavier than fat. With that plus normal fluctuations in time of the month, etc, the scale can lie. HOWEVER, the changes tend to be super clear if you take photos! If you take photos from before you started working out (front, then both sides) and compare them to now, you'll see the progress. If you don't have photos yet, I'd suggest taking some now, then comparing in 3-6 months to see truly how much you're doing!

Keep on going!!! There is SO much more to being healthy than a number. What can your body do now that it's couldn't before? Are you less tired doing normal tasks? Can you keep up with your kiddos easier/are you happier/can you lift heavier things yourself? Sometimes it helps to see if you fit your clothes better, too. 😊 All of these things can help you feel progress without even looking at the scale, and help you have a healthy mindset.

@mrnarthex Not uncommon - stick with the process, the weight will start to come off fairly soon.

For an unconditioned body, it seems the body retains water as part of the repair process and then after a while gets rid of it.