I turned all of Reddit's best workout plans into a free fitness app

terasee

Hey r/beginnerfitness, I'm a fitness nerd and I love helping people start their fitness journeys.

For beginners, following well-designed workout plans is critical. Great workout programs start easy (so you can build a habit) and gradually gets harder (as your body adapts). Nothing is more motivating than seeing consistent progress.

This is no secret; go on r/fitness and r/bodyweightfitness wikis and you can read on the FAQ why everyone should follow a program, as we as find many free workout plans.

So what's the problem? Well, all these programs are on spreadsheets or PDFs. This is incredibly hard to use. You have to go on YouTube to learn proper exerice form, use excel on your phone, or use a notepad to write down your sets and reps.

A year ago, I decided to tackle this problem with my friend. We built a new app, Boostcamp, with the mission to make following workout programs 10X easier to use: video exercise guidance, written tips, workout tracker, rest timer, and in-app chat community.

Boostcamp app interface:
At-Home programs
  • Bodyweight Fitness Primer - 7 day easy fitness intro (10 min/day) by r/ bodyweightfitness
  • Fit at Every Size - 3x/week, 12 week plan made for people of all sizes, particularly plus-sized
  • Recommended Routine - 3x/week made by r /bodyweightfitness, note you should start the primer first if you're a total beginner
Gym programs
  • Greg Nuckols Beginner Program - 3x/week plan for newbies to learn weights in the gym, made by Greg Nuckols (founder of Stronger by Science)
  • Reddit PPL - 6x/week plan for strength and muscle (PPL = Push, Pull, Legs)
  • GZCLP - popular program based on barbell exercises (squat, bench, deadlift)
  • Big & Bold - dumbbell-only program, 3x/week for 12 weeks
For anyone that wants to start or have had trouble building a fitness habit, give Boostcamp a try and let me know if you have any questions or feedback!

www.boostcamp.app

Free on iOS and Android

@terasee For anyone else reading, this is the app you should use.
I just got it the other week and I wish this had existed many years ago.

I’m currently doing the r/BodyWeightFitness Recommended Routine program and it’s so much more intuitive and easy to follow/learn the proper exercises.
(If looking for beginner friendly BodyWeightFitness routines, start with the “BWF Primer”)

Please do yourself a favor and try the app.

@cordie Appreciate the feedback and I'm glad you're finding it useful! Yes the RR is an awesome program but really hard for beginners to follow otherwise

@terasee Thank you! This looks like a fantastic app! I recently got serious about getting in shape so I've been going to the gym 3x/week for a little over a month now, however I've noticed I've actually gained even more weight and I suspect that it's because I haven't been eating as healthy as I thought I was (I've just been doing the "intuitive eating" approach about eating more protein, fruits and veggies). If the app doesn't already, do you have any plans or would consider adding a section for nutrition advice/tracking?

@montse811 Kudos to you for getting serious about your fitness! To answer your question, we've had a lot of requests on nutrition guidance/weight tracking charts, so we are definitely planning on it in the future.

Regarding your weight gain, I suggest you don't worry about it toooo much (though its understandable). Muscle weighs twice as much as fat, and I've personally seen many beginners who don't lose weight (or even gain weight) but see their physique improve significantly.

The scale can be helpful but often doesn't tell the whole story. if you're already eating healthier then I wouldn't worry about anything yet. Take some progress photos (front, side, back) now and again every month or so. I guarantee if you're doing a great program and training hard you'll see a difference!

If you do want to make anymore dietary changes in addition to what you're doing, you could try a free tracker like MyFitnessPal. First week or two just track what you typically eat a day, measure your weight every morning before breakfast, and see where you're at in terms of maintenance. Then make any small adjustments over time. Again this is not necessary until you're more advanced...just starting your workout journey is THE most important step IMO so props to you! Hope that's helpful

@terasee Just downloaded it and man- where has this been all my life.
I definitely struggle in finding motivation to workout so ill be glad to try out the 10 min a day primer first of all, and then once completed, do the 3x a week.
Cant go to the gym so thats ideal. Thank you!

I especially love the integrated video demonstration of each workout. That'll certainly save me alot of time.

Quick question though, you reccomended doing the primer first and then the 3x a week at home workout right?
What do you recommend after the total 13 weeks of those two ends?

@jennhamer Let's get it my man! Yes, definitely do the primer first if you've not worked out consistently before. It might even seem too easy at first but that's okay...the goal is to make it so easy to build the inertia to continue. After the primer, you can either jump to the BWF Recommended Routine, or the Fit at Every Size `1 program. Both are 3x a week and really depends on your pref (RR = more calisthenics, FAES 1 = more whole body strength)

@terasee Just downloaded the app and will give it a try in the following weeks! It looks very neat!

Just one thing, that just crossed my (29f) mind directly: I would love to see some more female coaches on your app. I don't know why, but to me, many programs that I see presented by muscular men feel like they aren't made for me lol. So I feel naturally drawn away to even try them.

Maybe could help you guys to also get more female users too 👍 regardless, I'll give it a shot for the next few weeks!

@belovedruth Great feedback! The only female coach we have onboard currently is Morit Summers, who made Fit at Every Size, Big & Bold, and other excellent programs. I will definitely priortize adding female coaches in the future.

@sfan Nope. As stated in our privacy policy, we do not share any user data with third parties except for social logins and google backend. We will never sell user data for profit as that is unethical imo.