I want bigger legs and I want your advice

@dawn16 Yes it depends on muscle mass. Obese people are recommended to use length instead of body weight as a guideline. Fat can be used for fuel, but iirc is not very effective at building muscle, which is why a solid protein intake is recommended for all weight classes. Protein is also not that calorie dense.

@theadmiral This. Same thing with the whole “sprinters vs endurance runners” meme. There are a lot of skinny sprinters, but a lot of them lift weights whereas a lot of marathon runners avoid strength.

Lifting weights will get you big legs. Though for some people (like me) it takes a moderate amount of weight for high reps. My legs were giant when I did tons of walking barbell lunges, sled pushes and farmers walks up stairs. Squats never really built my legs and I don’t respond well to high weight for low reps.

@theadmiral I don't think anyone is going to argue against lifting heavy weights.

But I argue your 1st point. The muscle mass is both to help them skate and because they skate. Where are the pencil legged speed skaters?

@petercoh They'll build some muscle by skating, but without a way to increase the resistance their strength and size would plateau fairly rapidly

Where are the pencil legged speed skaters?

Nowhere, because they squat heavy, it's just not possible to achieve a 2.5x bodyweight squat without spending a fair amount of time training

@theadmiral Big is relative but I see a ton of inline skaters on my local trail and they all have the best shaped legs. not necessarily massive, but big and perfectly shaped.

I'd imagine that speed skating would have a similar effect.

@petercoh Also cycling, check the thighs & calf’s on a pro cyclist!

If you can’t speed skate for lack of ice, rollerblade is similar workout, skating uphill is particularly good.

Uphill sprints have been mentioned, also include bounding and stair climbs if you can. Not sure if these all come under body weight fitness but I’d guess they answer the original question in conjunction with other answers here…

Back