Injured wrist took me out of my two main active hobbies, what else can I do?

sarahz

I’ve been doing pole dancing and rock climbing as my main forms of exercise the past few months, with 1-2 days of strength training in between. On average I’d do each once a week, with some breaks and sometimes 2x a week depending on what else is going on.

i hurt my wrist last time i went climbing, 6 days ago, and anticipate being out of both activities at least 1-3 more weeks ): i can’t lift anything heavy with my right wrist without pain or twitching. i’m not 100 percent sure what type of injury it is but it is consistent with a TFCC injury.

I absolutely abhor running- I’m a G cup so even with a good sports bra it’s not comfortable for me. I’m wondering what I can be doing the next few weeks to stay in shape and keep my strength. I’m a beginner in both activities (started late 2023/ beginning of 2024) and I’m really worried about losing all my upper body strength and technique I’ve built up the past few months. I’ve also been losing weight and am afraid of gaining it baxk.

@sarahz Have you gone to a doctor about your wrist? If not, I would encourage you to do so, just to verify it's not something worse.

At minimum, just start walking more. You don't need to run. If you have access to a bike (stationary or other wise) that's a good option as well.

For strength training, do you have access to machines? That'll be the easiest way to get some weighted work in. You'd have to be careful about anything upper body. Find things you don't need to grip/push on and can just use your forearm for.

As for weight... your weight is controlled by your diet. So if you decrease your activity level from this, you need to cut back on the calories. Trying to do more walks/bikes can help keep the calorie burn up.

As for strength and technique... you'll likely remember what to do pretty easily, but it may take a little to get back into the swing of things. I've heard its something like you'll need about half the time you're off to get back to it. So if you were out for 2 weeks, give it a week and you should be good to go again.

@dinafrancis I already walk a fair amount between my job and dog, but i suppose i could increase the length of my dog’s walks! my climbing gym has a few machines but not nearly the sort of setup a traditional gym has.

any examples of upper body exercises i can use my forearms for? planks and dolphin pushups come to mind but that’s it

thank you for these suggestions!

I did email my pcp yesterday, it didn’t feel severe enough for urgent care or ER.

@sarahz I'm sure your dog would enjoy it!

Planks are gonna be core more than upper body. Does your gym have a cable machine? If not, you could get creative with resistance bands. Could do bicep curls with the band around your forearm. Go as far as you can without it sliding. Could add difficulty to make up for lack of ROM by pausing at the highest point you can get. Same for tricep pushdowns (except hook the band around a pullup bar or something high). Bent over rows could maybe be done with the band around your upper arm, right at the elbow. Front and lat raises again could be around your forearm. Could get a small band around your arms and hold them up at your face level and flare out for reverse fly. Could anchor the band and do chest fly (probably would have to do 1 arm at a time).

Comfort wise, if you could get/make a small cuff to loop the band in, that would probably be nicer than rubber pulling on skin.

Definitely go to the doc if it doesn't start feeling a bit better or something feels off. And probably at least get a basic wrist brace to help rest it.

@sarahz Ab workouts are always easily adjusted to using elbows instead of wrists. Push ups and planks of any sort will be doable. Add variations of them to get a complete workout while you rest your wrist.

@sarahz Walking, squats, core, anything that doesn't involve your wrist. Swim if you can? Push ups and planks on your elbows instead of hands.

As frustrating as it is, you can't use your wrist. This doesn't stop you from exercising. Eat and sleep well, so your body can repair itself efficiently.

You'll be back to pole and climbing before you know it.
Definitely differentiate an ache and a hurt when you start applying work to it. Massage and warm wraps will help, but stop if you get pain. Can't rush these things, friend.

Best of luck.

Back