Is 3 exercises per day 6 days a week the same as 4 exercises 4-5 days a week? Both would be 18 exercises total, same volume

ice_bear

I am doing 4 sets per exercise which totals 72 sets per week in both cases but doing only 3 exercises per day would make working out a more pleasant experience for me.

Is this really the same though? Does that mean it's the exact same effectiveness or is 3 exercises not enough to get the muscle going?

@ice_bear You can do one exercise a day at high intensity and get your muscles going. There are a some people who do split sets this way, but the question here is the type of workout you’re doing day to day and the intensity. For recovery of your muscles I believe you’ll want to give them some time off between intense sets. This is more true for some muscle groups compared to others.

But, if it gets you in the gym consistently and it helps you accomplish your goals without injuring yourself I would think it’s good to go.

@ice_bear any sort of exercise will get a muscle activated.

do whatever you feel is better, for example 3 exercises a day, but make sure the sets are intense (ie, considerable weight, maybe 12 reps, or do failure).

if you think about it, mike mentzer did only one set to failure per exercise, and look at his physique.

do whatever you feel will suit you best.