Is it me or is this program really hard for beginners?

atlanticisland

I am having a hard time staying consistent with this workout program that my coach prepared for me.

I have done it for 3 months straight, it was a struggle but I was tired and found myself spending a lot of time ( averaging 1h30 per workout + the 45 minutes walks or 20 cardio or so) so I would spend like 7-10 hours working hour per week which means that on workout days ( 4 days a week) I cannot do anything else after work.

Last month was a bit of a failure a because I got sick, b because I managed to overtrain my arms and injured my shoulder and c because I was kind of busy with work and behind on other goals that I have set for myself such as working on a side hustle and spending time learning. So I did what I do best in these situations , procrastinated and slept very little.

I really need your honest opinion, am I being a pu**y or is this program really hard for a beginner?

I only started lifting 4 months ago.

Here is the program :

MONDAY – GLUTES

Warmup:

Workout:

Ø Sumo DB Squat: 4 sets of 25-20-20-15

Ø Stiff leg deadlift: 4sets of 30-25-20-15

Triset: 3 sets of 20reps each side

v Single leg hip thrust:

v Single leg glute bridge:

v Single leg deadlift:

Ø Bulgarian Split Squat: 3 sets of 15

TUESDAY – CARDIO

20min cardio

WEDNESDAY - BACK

warmup:

ü 15 pulse row 2x15

ü 15superman 2x15

Workout:

Ø barbell deadlift 4 sets of 12-12-10-10

Ø Lat pull down 4 sets of 25

Ø Bent over two arm DB row 4sets of 15-12-10-8

Ø BB row pronated grip 2 sets of 12

Ø BB row supinated grip 2 sets of 12

Ø DB Pullover 3 sets of 12-10-8

Ø DB rear delt row 3sets of 12

Cardio:

20 Min cardio

THURSDAY – ACTIVE REST

· Go for a walk 40min

FRIDAY – QUADS

Workout :

Ø barbell squat 4 sets of 15

Ø DB forward lunges 4sets of 12

Ø DB front squat of 4x25-20-20-15

Ø calf raises 5 sets of 20

20min elleptical

SATURDAY - ARMS + ABS + SHOULDERS

Warmup :

ü Jump rope : 2 minutes

ü Half jack : 20reps

ü Half jack : 20 reps

ü Arm rotation (backward) : 20 reps

ü Jumping jack : 50reps

Workout :

Ø Hummer curl superset bench dips 3*15

Ø Supinated DB curl superset DB tricep extension 3*12

Ø Zottman curl superset standing overhead DB extension 3*12

Ø Shoulder press 4sets of 12-12-10-10

Ø DB Side lateral raise 3sets of 8reps superset DB supported wall front raise 3 sets of 12reps

Ø DB Upright row 4 sets of 20-15-12-10

Ø Bent over DB rear delt raise: 3 sets to failure each set

Ø 1min plank + 30sec side plank (left)+1min plank + 30sec side plank (right)+1min plank

20 min cardio

SUNDAY: STRETCHING:

@prays2 And they feel unpleasant too. I have no idea, I am a beginner so I just did as she told me and now I am having a hard time staying consistent with the workouts.

@atlanticisland Yeah. So generally high-rep squats and deads are great if you want to put some meat on your frame. But they are pretty demanding recovery-wise, so you need to eat and sleep well. I wouldn't do it while not being in the caloric surplus. Beside that, you as a beginner may lack the work capacity to do this program. You can - and should - improve your work capacity, and high rep sets themselves help to build it, but still, doing multiple sets of deads and squats in 20-30 rep range can be a little too much.

I mean, you should probably discuss it with your coach.

@atlanticisland Regardless of if that program is too much for beginners, it seems that it is too much for you specifically which is what’s really important here.

If you find that you cannot recover well enough from this program and/or it interferes with the rest of your life you should mention that to your PT. We all have different lives with different demands and different genetics with different abilities to recover.

If a program just fucks you up and is really difficult to adhere to, you’re way more likely to quit all together which is something neither you nor your trainer probably wants.

@tylerw Yes you are right, I thought that by pushing myself hard I will force myself to be persistent but I did not realize that eventually after pushing too hard we end up burning out. The coach is not really flexible, she says I only make modifications if you feel pain when you do a workout. What do you suggest I do?

@atlanticisland Get a better coach. The whole point of having a coach is having someone knowledgeable that can tailor your fitness plan to your needs.

Otherwise you might as well safe the money and get something online for free.

@zach17 Thanks I will check it out. I am no in the US, so American coaches/programs are out of budget at the moment but if it is something I can afford I will definetly try it out.

Back