Is it most Effective to do each Stretch 1 minute every day or 7 minutes once a week? šŸ§˜ā€ā™€ļø

godsgrl34

Is it most effective to do each stretch 1 minute every day or 7 minutes once a week?

For example if I have 7 different stretches is Stretching workout A or Stretching workout B the most effective?

Stretching workout A:
  • Day 1:
    • Stretch a: 7 min.
  • Day 2:
    • Stretch b: 7 min.
  • Day 3:
    • Stretch c: 7 min.
  • Day 4:
    • Stretch d: 7 min.
  • Day 5:
    • Stretch e: 7 min.
  • Day 6:
    • Stretch f: 7 min.
  • Day 7:
    • Stretch g: 7 min
Stretching workout B:
  • All days:
    • Stretch a: 1 min.
    • Stretch b: 1 min.
    • Stretch c: 1 min.
    • Stretch d: 1 min.
    • Stretch e: 1 min.
    • Stretch f: 1 min.
    • Stretch g: 1 min.
So in other words... If you are doing 7 different stretches, is it then best to do ALL of them EVERYDAY? Or is better to just do one each day for a longer time?

@godsgrl34 Muscle, tendons, ligaments all need to be conditioned and prepped consistently in order to become more flexible. This means an approach of a little every day will be much more beneficial and safe than 7min of stretching 1x a week

@godsgrl34 I think if you can hold a stretch for 7 minutes then it is possibly too easy for you, but /r/flexibility would be a better crowd for that then a strength-oriented sub.

@godsgrl34 Do all the stretches every day. Stretching is more efficient with repetition. Youā€™ll lose flexibility if you only work at a specific area of your body once a week. I hope that makes sense?

@godsgrl34 Youā€™re not activating your muscles often enough to increase their elasticity by doing a specific stretch only once a week. I donā€™t think youā€™re doing this as a pre-workout routine, but holding a stretch for too long before physical activity can even negatively affect your performance because it engages your muscles to the point of overexertion.

ThisACSMā€™s Resources for the Exercise Physiologist covers many of your questions about muscles, tendons, and how flexibility works. The section on Static Flexibility confirms that you should hold each pose for 15-30 seconds, and repeat it no more than 4 times. After that, you donā€™t gain anything by doing it more in one session.

ACSM does a ton of research on sports science, and their stretching guide for adults recommends stretches for all major muscle groups two to three times a week, holding each stretch for 15 seconds, repeating once or twice. I canā€™t access their exercise guide directly ($$), but hereā€™s a summary that directly references their findings link here

Iā€™m on mobile right now, so let me know if the links donā€™t work.

@godsgrl34 It says ā€œper dayā€. There are other studies, you can find them with google searches on stretching frequency and duration. Iā€™ve also read another article before, and that explained why you should do it every day.

You should do them every day, itā€™s the most effective method and doing them for a longer duration does not affect your flexibility.

@godsgrl34 If you're asking such a question, you probably don't know the basic principles of flexibility.

Stretching is like working out - it varies depending on your goal.

Simple basic rules:

- sustainability stretch (stay as flexible as you are) - up to 30 sec per stretch/per day.

-developmental stretch (develop flexibility/become more flexible) - up to 1 min/per day

hope this helps. (P.S. - doing 1 stretch a week would not lead to developmental results.)

@42peniel And if you then do 1 minute stretching per day on average, is it then better to do it all in 7 minutes one day per week, or distribute so you do 1 minute everyday?

Back