Is pizza healthy ?

igbokwe

Was doing a bit of reading and found Pizza Hut and Dominos nutrition information.

Acc. to their website,
For PH, one margherita pizza ( personal) has 725 calories

P: 31.9g
F: 21.2g (PUFA= 8.2g, MUFA= 5.3G, Saturated fat= 7.7g, Trans fats= 0.2g)
C: 101.6g

Macros:
C: 65%
F: 14 %
P: 21 %

These are great macros, compared to most other foods.

Now I know that these are processed and can’t be really healthy, but food for thought.

ominos has a really bad PDF wherein it’s not easy to decipher it easily

@igbokwe Idk if it's just coz I'm cutting rn but 725 calories is a lot. That's like a quarter of the calories I'm eating in a day rn

@jiloml Honestly I really don't know, I went from 106 kg to 78 kg in span of 7-8 months while maintaining huge muscle mass. I am doing 12000 steps, 1 hour gym and 15 hour fast almost daily . The most important part I think was me not getting hungry (the hardest part) . I naturally don't feel the urge to eat even after skipping a meal.
But it's true that , at this point I am just testing the limits of my body ,which is in turn taking a toll on my body. Once I get to 74 kgs i am gonna leave this 1300-1400 calories diet and shift to 2200 calories.
Edit: I was always a skinny boy until 2020(that might be the reason for losing my weight so easily),2021 was the year I gained ~35 kgs in 9-10 months alone.

@rich4u2 i want to understand the deal with sodium, why is it unhealthy exactly? just because it holds water? and i have seen people putting some salt in their pre workout to get some sodium.

@daughteroftheking84 Sodium in either excess or deficit is bad. For me it’s bad because I rely on dairy a lot for my daily protein intake and sodium is highly associated with calcium kidney stones. So I try to keep my daily sodium intake low.

@igbokwe the problem the amount of calories you are putting in your body with the lowest quality of food. they say 31.9 gram protein, but you dont know the bio availability of that protein after all the processing it goes through to coming to your plate. and please dont expect them to be honest its like saying ev cars give 500 km of range whereas in real life its only around 350.

@daughteroftheking84 I agree with all of your points but I didn’t really expect them to have more protein than fat.

Also, every restaurant with more than 10 outlets is supposed to publish this data on their website. So maybe they can’t lie a lot over here, since this is mandated and not Suo moto. But who really knows

@igbokwe Domino's pizza is definitely not healthy. The dough is trash and the "cheese" is even worse.

The only healthy pizza would be if you make it at home Italian style

@igbokwe While that's a lot of calories. Personally I'm not a believer of food being good or bad. It's almost always going to depend on the dose.

Pizza does look good, and you might be onto something. After all, there's a world jiu jitsu champion who mostly eats once a day and it's either a pizza or a pasta, however he does make it at home.

One thing I do know though - pizza hut actually does use mozerella cheese. Unlike domino's. So atleast there's that.

If you can fit it in your macros, I don't see why it's bad.

@igbokwe
is pizza healthy

Dude, come on. You don't need to be an expert to know it's one of the most calorie dense unhealthy foods out there, especially the ones from food chains like pizza hut.

You can lower the calroies by choosing a pure wheat base but theres still cheese and oil that goes into it.

I haven't eaten one in like 3 months, we all have cheat days so once in a while is fine.

@bokamoso I haven’t either, but I long for it.

But just reading the nutritional values on PH and Dominos makes me wonder. Like they’re so much better than packaged fried snacks-potato wafers/Kurkure/biscuits

@igbokwe I feel the street pizzas are healthier as compared to these. Their crust is very thick and lot of oil too.

Also tried the wheat thin crust. That is low in calories.

Pizza in itself isn’t that unhealthy but americanising it makes it unhealthy.

Try italian pizza, definitely much lower in calories.

Back