Is there hope for smaller chest size?

doey26

Just wondering if anyone here that used to have a much larger chest has been able to reduce it significantly by getting a low enough body fat percentage.

I've always had a large chest in proportion to my size and I would rather not as it gets in the way of sports, running, fitting into clothes, and the bras are expensive. That being said, while I had a large chest at healthy weight, I have never in my life been what I would describe as lean. I'm wondering if I drop my body fat % low enough, if there is hope for me to get into the standard bra size range (D cup or less) so I can buy bras from a normal store. I have lost over 20 lbs so far over the last few years and have been able to go from 34F to 32E. I was so happy about that but now I'm not seeing any change there while I can see other parts of my body slimming down. For reference I am about 130 lbs and 5'-3" and have decent muscle tone.

Basically I'm wondering if there is hope for me to ever get to something like a B or C cup by getting more lean. That would be awesome. If anyone who used to have a large chest has been able to do it, I would love to hear for motivation.

Thanks.

@doey26 I lost 25 pounds and went from a 36D to a 34B. The loss in breast size didn't happen until near the end of my weight loss journey.

As for you - it really depends how much of your breast tissue is fat as opposed to dense tissue. Getting to a B/C cup is quite the drop from where you are now, and you might not be able to lose enough weight safely to ever get this low. Is breast reduction surgery something that you would consider?

@mutambo Thanks for sharing. Yeah I would consider it, although I wouldn't rather see how far I can safely get without surgery before I go down that route. Interesting that it didn't happen until the very end for you.

@doey26 If you’ve always had a large chest in proportion, it’s extremely unlikely you will get to a cup size that small. There’s no way to know without a mammogram, but it sounds like you may have primarily dense breast tissue, which isn’t impacted by your body fat percentage. I was a G cup when I was underweight and a G cup when I was overweight. My only option was a breast reduction.

That being said, there’s always a chance I’m completely wrong, and reducing your body fat percentage will give you a smaller cup size because you have primarily fatty tissue. And even if it doesn’t work, at least you tried. This is often a requirement for getting a breast reduction surgery, so if that something you’re interested in, you will probably be required by your insurance company or doctors office to try to lose weight/fatanyway

@doey26 I lost 40 lbs and went from a 38H to a 34D/DD, depending on the brand and style. Like the other commenter said, most of it came off towards the end. I was actually solidly in a D cup for a while, but then I regained a few lbs.

@doey26 Breasts are made up of fat and breast tissue. The mix varies from person to person. If your breasts are mostly fat then you can reduce them through diet and exercise. If they are mostly breast tissue then you’ll not see any real reduction. If you’ve been told you have dense breasts then it’s breast tissue. If fat is the issue then you’ll need to be lean to see a difference.