Killer exercises for athleticism in combat sports ?

@sawer1984 I don’t want to pick a fight, but I don’t believe that S&S is going to be enough to bump anyone up a weight class anymore than I believe that the Soviet Weightlifting team was at 6% body fat because of workouts similar to Dry Fighting Weight.

@returner As a former Muay Thai fighter swings are a must. It’s an explosive movement that mimics the explosive kicking movement.

Another good option is the armor building complex by Dan John. It’s specifically meant for contact sports.

@returner Hit all your kb mainstays. Pressing variations, jerks, snatches, swings. I would focus on lower body movements that are low rep and require mobility and coordination. For example, overhead kettlebell walking lunges. Double kettlebell SOTS presses. Split stance one arm snatches and split stance one arm jerks for sets of 3, focusing on power. Cossack squats and also bent presses. A lot of the ones I mentioned require very good thoracic mobility which translates very well to Muay Thai power development.

@returner I did martial arts for about 10 years (but not a competitive level), for me swings, double kettlebell front squats and clean and press gave me the most bang for my buck.

Check out Dan John’s Armor Buiiding Complex
In YouTube. It’s brilliant.

@returner For power: kettlebell throws, kettlebell slams, cleans, snatches.

For endurance: AMRAP, HIIT workouts using kettlebell swings, lunges, snatches and carries with 1:1 exercise to rest ratio to start.