Legs get tired quickly

riposa

Hi there!

I’m from the U.K. and I’m 26 and trying to get into some good habits after a breakup.

Since covid, I have tried to go on long walks regularly. However, whenever I try and do something more intense like cycling or running, I notice my legs tend to get “tired” or heavy much faster than when I feel out of breath. On the whole I have fairly muscular legs (lucky genetics) so I am always surprised that they seem to get tired so quickly. For instance, I’ve been trying to do for instance five minutes of non stop cycling on an exercise bike (during a 30-35 minute session) and often have to pause and stretch my legs after two or so.

Is this a common issue? Is it just that I’m unfit? Or is the problem that I’m not warming up my legs properly before starting?

Any help or tips are appreciated :)

@londonmum Well I’m not saying that fact that I get tired, it’s mainly that when I read a lot of the exercise guides, especially for jogging or cycling, they say you should really be cycling or jogging for 5 minutes uninterrupted. So the fact I’m making it to two purely on account of my legs getting tired rather than being out of breath was my question.

@riposa Yes, you've introduced a new and difficult stimulus that works a muscle. It's common for that muscle to feel the stimulus and become tired!

@londonmum Well it’s about the time frame which is clear in the post not the very fact it’s getting tired. If your point is just “cause it’s new” then fine

@riposa I don't know how to word this any other way.

You're doing something difficult that you have not done before that is designed to work a muscle and fatigue it. The more you do it the slower the fatigue on set will be as you condition the muscles to do this task.

Not only is it normal for you to experience what you're experiencing, I would find it highly unusual if you didn't experience this.

@riposa Just because they're muscular doesn't mean they're conditioned. Just lower the pace/intensity to one you can do for longer distances and your cardio/conditioning will increase over time.

For example if you're jogging you should be able to maintain a conversation while you jog.

Back