Let's have a conversation about squatting, and ignorance

@judee My knees and hips are bad so I squat light weights (compared to what is expected of someone my size), and am constantly being told I didn’t go low enough. I know it’s not low enough, but a few more degrees and my knees will be killing me. Thanks for this post.

@judee Squatting is such an individual thing, its frustrating to see people put off of it because they can't do it "right", whether thats because of physiology, age, injury or whatever.

Most people who I personally have known who touted ass to grass no matter what in the past typically ended up injured as about 3 out of 5 werent really built to go very far below parallel.

Doing the movement to the best of your ability while adhering to the principle of progressive overload is really all that matters imo.

@judee It's reasonable to understand your frustration OP, but come on it's 2021 and everyone is a certified trainer with years of YouTube Tech schooling under their belt.

Is there many different variations of squats. Yes.
Is there many brofessor's out there. Yes. Do most of them lift? Not more than a key stroke my good dude.

Does it suck to see uneducated people talking smack or talking down on a post they know nothing about? Sure does.

At the end of the day just continue lifting and try and help out the new folks. (Easier said then done)

But who am I to say anything, but a fat guy just trying to lift things up, and put them down.

@judee I see very strong young guys at my gym doing SSB with significant weight (much more than I can do) while holding the handles like in the photo above. I ain’t gonna go tell them they’re doing it wrong. 😃

@judee Unfortunately it's easier to think in black & white instead of considering the entirety of the circumstance. In some modalities, there are specific rules, and if the person wants to train under that framework, then ok great. But for something like general quality of life, there's a lot of space to navigate in whatever path people want to explore so long as they're not teetering on the brink of disaster (unless that's an informed risk they're choosing to take)

@judee Almost any sub that is fitness+qualifier is going to be filled with uneducated people making excuses. The qualifier is a built in excuse.

@judee Amen.

I've battled one type of Dogma or another for many years and now - as I recover from a back/hip injury - I just want to be training again, even if the weight is lower and I might have to use Sumo or Rack Pulls.

I don't care anymore, every piece of equipement has its time and place in a gym.

As for squatting, this is just one of those things people need to figure out themselves. But if there is one thing I've learnt, it's that in my experience, most people on the internet seem to be newbies who do more "watching/reading" and less DOING than they want to admit.

(I won't even start about UNDERSTANDING/COMPREHENSION)

Hence all the BS opinions on form and never-ending repeating of certain questions, over and over again.

(i.e on the 5/3/1 sub, most are on BBB or some variant of it and that's all I see, while the other 50% is made up of form checks and confusion about assistance exercises)

Didn't mean to rant but ffs, this shit is one of my pet hates.

@judee I saw this pic and had to do a quick double check to see if someone was using my Hatfield SSB picture to shame me on Reddit!

Big fan of the SSB Hatfield due to long torso and low back issues.

@judee Thanks for posting this!! I was told for the longest time that I I had to prevent my knees from going past my toes. As my limbs are a bit long it turns out that I was hurting by trying to follow that “tip”

Back