Lifting Technique: How to mount and unmount a big old hunk of drywall and wood?

wayne2069

So, this is a weird ask, I know! I had a big frame built out of drywall and wood - measurements below - to cover my window to isolate the room from outside noise. It's mounted on a french cleat. But now, I'm in a conundrum about how to put it up and remove it easily for when I want to see the sun on occasion.

Here are the numbers:
  • I'm 5'1
  • The monster is 5'6"H x 3'6" W x 1 1/4" D. It weights about 25-30 lbs.
  • I put two handles on the front, about 33" apart and about 33" down from the top.
  • I have to lift it up about 22" to get up and over the French cleat - measured from top of monster to about 3" above cleat. (hope that's accurate?). I'm able to reach that high but I'm almost completely extended.
  • I'm able to lift it but I can't determine how far up because it basically just lands on me and I'm pushing it with my torso to get close to the window.
So how do I lift this monster?

I saw this video of this guy on how he lifts 80-120lbs of plywood:
He basically creates handles that he puts on the bottom of the wood and lifts it up from there, but I don't know if that's adequate to lifting something overhead? Would one of those "forearm forklifts" work? How should I strap it around the thing to get it lifted? Can I do it from a ladder, or is that unsafe?

I'm not opposed to grabbing some dumbbells and conditioning to lift this thing, either! I don't need it to be in use right away, but definitely by the end of June. So whatever lifts you recommend, please let me know!

@wayne2069 Since this is a fitness subreddit, I'll just chime in that the lift you want to practice is overhead press or military press. Get some dumbbells and condition lifting them over your head and you'll be all set 🙂

@wayne2069 Can you clarify how high you have to lift this? You say 22”, but you also talk about being fully extended and lifting overhead so I’m confused. How high is the French cleat mounted off of the ground?