Lifting while losing weight - pointless or no?

safsafs

I've been reading through the fitness wiki linked in several places here, and there is a part in there about it being very difficult to both build muscle and lose weight at the same time.

I wanted some clarification around this. I've only been lifting for a short amount of time (3 weeks or so) and have adjusted my diet as well. I'm steadily losing weight at the moment which is great, and I've found I really enjoy lifting as well.

I'm definitely seeing progression in my lifting, i.e. I can lift heavier for the same reps then I could when I started (I'm going up 2-5 kilos or so each week depending on the type of lift)

All these things are great. What's confusing me though is how is being able to lift heavier not building muscle? I'm sure the wiki isn't implying it's pointless lifting weights while trying to lose weight, so what am I missing here?

I'm both super over weight and powerful weak so it would be impossible for me to do anything without seeing gains which has been super motivating.

Is it just the calories I eat that got me so overweight are that high that even when eating at a reasonably large deficit (500-1000g most days) It's still enough to build muscle?

@bohayna Oh for sure you can! I’m currently doing it! The wiki seemed to indicate it’s very difficult to build muscle while eating at a calorie deficit which is what I was confused about.

@safsafs Your body is able to take the energy that is stored in fat to make up for your dietary caloric deficiency, so you'll still be able to build muscle until you are burning more calories than what you're eating + what is stored combined.

@safsafs As others have said, you can gain muscle in a deficit if you have a lot of fat reserves.

One thing nobody has really mentioned is your nervous system and how much better your mind muscle connection will be once you start training consistently, even on a deficit. You're lifting heavier and heavier weight most likely because your body is recruiting more muscle fibers for each particular exercise, and getting better at using those muscles.

Basically means you'll be able to lift way heavier than you would once you're finished cutting if you hadn't weight-lifted during your cut. And when you start going into a calorie surplus after you drop to the weight you want hooeee you're gonna blow up. Keep at it!

@safsafs I mean if you take the facts that muscles require a caloric surplus for maximum growth and that you only burn fat on a caloric deficit then it is clear that there must be more to this than just a simple contradiction.

Its not as black and white and it highly depends on your level of fitness. The closer you get to your optimal physique the more these facts will weigh in, but if you are just starting out (first 1-2 years) then you don't need to worry. You can be on a mad deficit and still feel stronger and more fit after lifting.

But after some time, once you start closing in on your limit, it becomes harder and harder.

@safsafs Its not really pointless.

I always looked at this idea, its just sort of hard to get the gains you want, while losing the weight you want while getting the proper rest you need while eating the right amount of calories/macros.

Theres also not really a lot of good, free information on how to do it effectively.

Like it doesnt hurt to lift weights with the primary goal of losing weight but you have to pay a lot of attention to your diet and activity.

I ended up losing a bunch of weight through a very strict diet and a ton of cardio. I think other people do too, and then if you would to build muscle you have to shift gears and eat a ton and lift a lot.

Its worth it to figure out, just a little tricky.

@safsafs When you lift and gain muscle mass said muscle mass burns a quite a bit of calories (that’s why powerlifters have to eat so damn much)

@safsafs Lifting while losing weight is not only NOT pointless, it's mandatory in order to maintain muscle at a minimum

Your progress will be slower, or maybe even plateau, and you won't gain much in the way of size, but these things aren't the goal of a fat loss phase, they're a nice bonus

Once you're at a desired leanness then you can gain weight again and the progress will come more readily

However, as an overweight beginner you're in the prime demographic to be able to make decent progress while in a caloric deficit. Just pick an appropriate program for cutting and follow it

@safsafs Recomp is real, I managed to recomp while losing weight, had some moments where I didn't lose weight on the scale but I looked visibly slimmer (recomp)

@safsafs There's a bit of a misconception...

You CANNOT add mass in a caloric deficit. Your ability to build muscle only exists as long as your body has fat stores to convert to calories. Technically, this means even though you're eating at a deficit, you're still getting extra calories. Still, the muscle mass gained will be less than the fat mass burned. There will be a net loss in mass.

Once those fat stores are gone, you must be in a surplus to add muscle mass.

@safsafs Technically, training usually leads to gaining lean muscle mass. You can't gain TOTAL body mass/scale weight in a calorie deficit. So changes are due to:

1) an improved coordination of muscle tissue and contractions, leading to strength gains

2) a body recomposition, from a combined increase in lean muscle mass and decreased fat mass

I think you got it, but I like to be clear

@safsafs Hell no it isn't pointless.

Weight lifting provides a mode of exercise that burns more calories in the long term than cardio alone, builds up bone density and helps strengthen muscles. It's part of an important and healthy fitness routine! For those looking to lose weight, it's especially important because when we lose weight our body pulls from energy stores. Contrary to popular belief, the body is just as likely (if not more) to pull from muscle stores, basically cannibalizing what muscle you have and aren't using. For every pound lost, a percentage is fat, and the rest is muscle (to put it simply). By incorporating a weight lifting routine and adequate protein in your diet, you can reduce the percent of each pound lost that comes from muscle!