Linda - women’s opinions?

@lawforchrist Oh, those are good numbers! I had considered lowering each by .25xBW, but that would have been far too easy of a clean. I like the idea of just applying that to the first two and keeping the clean as is.

@mixpanema modify as needed to make the workout challenging for you and fit the intended stimulus.

Its your workout. not that of whoever wrote it.

Who gives a F if you write 'Rx' next to your score or not?

@ezie The point of the post isn't really whether we want the self esteem boost of an arbitrary rx, but rather that the rx weights are stupid and obviously centered around men

@dawn16 I do think CrossFit is written first for men and women tend to be an afterthought. Usually the programs just say oh go 70-75% of the men’s weight…

@ezie Of course, I did scale it. I guess this particular workout is interesting in that there is no “built-in” female scaling other than bodyweight, which provides some natural scaling but we know that it doesn’t fully translate across sex.

I do most workouts “Rx” because I can, and the female weights are usually about right for me. Prescribed is generally a good starting point, and then I assess if I need to scale off of that to get the proper stimulus. I feel like this particular WOD doesn’t really offer appropriate female weights, so I was left to choose my own adventure.

I wonder if I should have calculated the Rx weight, then used 2/3 of that number as that is typical for females in CrossFit.

@mixpanema For me, those numbers work out to 66% of my max deadlift, 89% of my bench, and 60% of my clean. Definitely unbalanced for me, and my bench isn’t too shabby for a weightlifter!

@mixpanema Here’s a way I like to look at these types of workouts through a CF-lense: Women’s weights for various workouts are typically 70% of those for men (think 135 vs 95). Though men weigh on average 20% more than women (see national averages). So a mathematical way to do this is to take the prescribed percentages and multiply by 85% (roughly 120% x 70%). So 1.25x BW / 1x BW / .75x BW becomes 1.05x BW / .85x BW / .65x BW to get a similar stimulus.

@nonamend My coach makes all the gals row same meters as the men. Doesn’t even put 2 options on the board, just the mens. No takin it easier on us! Unless you’re just super tall with huge pull it’s really sorta the same effort for everyone right? That’s his excuse anyway lol

@mixpanema I'm a 165# female. I'll preface this by saying I don't Bench a lot. My shoulders hate the movement and my long arms make it not enjoyable. Not an excuse, but its also just not a priority for me.

Deadlift:
PR - 300#
RX - 250# (83%)

Bench:
PR - 135#
RX - 165# (122%)

Clean:
PR - 175#
RX - 125# (71%)

I could probably make it through the deadlifts. Cleans would be totally fine. Bench is obviously impossible.

I hate Linda 😅

@mixpanema I am surprised CAP didn't keep it simple and use Regionals Linda - which is how we program the workout:

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps for time of:
  • Deadlift, 295 / 220 lb.
  • Bench press, 195 / 135 lb.
  • Squat clean, 145 / 105 lb.
Time cap: 17 minutes

@mixpanema I love this workout, but have also noted that the female weights are ridiculous (lifting stats fairly similar to yours). The last time I did it, we were offered “Speed Linda” using 68% of max for everything. That’s that standard male/female offset they use for most WODs - but not here for some reason.

@mixpanema I think where a lot of people trip up on this work out is it’s going to be so far away from an unbroken workout. I have a pretty solid background in strength training, but the first few rounds of all the lifts are done as clusters. Even though I can get 10 reps as a single set on bench press, I cluster them because I know I have 45 reps on the way still plus 110 reps of two other lifts.

However, I would push back on the idea that women can’t bench well. Typically, the cause of this is that women avoid bench, pressing. But I know plenty of strong women who benchpress regularly who can attain their body weight with relative ease.

It’s not uncommon for even the most seasoned CrossFit goers to have a strength deficiency. This is what was at the root of the black box debacle over a decade ago. People wanted to do a strength bias program, and Castro went off on them because they were stringing too far from the methodology. Dave Castro about an hour and a half to do a single rep of dead lift at 405.

@caleb_m Maybe you missed it but OP can bench the RX weight, just not for 55 reps. She can obviously bench well.

Also I don't think it has anything to do with women not wanting to bench. Crossfit doesn't bench. That methodology works fine for men because they can generally bench their bodyweight with minimal training. However women struggle with bench press, push ups, and pull ups because we just do not have the same physiology and we need specific, frequent training for these movements that men have a much easier time at.

@caleb_m Greg Nuckols, et al, disagrees with you.

We found that males and females adapted to resistance training with similar effect sizes for hypertrophy and lower-body strength, but females had a larger effect for relative upper-body strength. Given the moderate effect size favoring females in the upper-body strength analysis, it is possible that untrained females display a higher capacity to increase upper-body strength than males.

Women have less upper body strength at baseline, but a greater potential for muscular gains. This is only demonstrated to be true over the course of consistent resistance training which the crossfit methodology does not provide. That's like the second biggest joke in crossfit after kipping pull ups - we hardly ever bench.

Back