Loaded Standing Back Extension - makes sense or insane?

rynsey

Similar to this but with a KB held at my chest which rests on my chest as I extend my back backwards. Can this be used as a substitute for Roman chair hyper-extensions?

I tried it with 50 lbs today, felt pretty good - at this weight it was neither difficult nor challenging (the stress) felt similar to a floor back extension.

@rynsey While standing the resistance from the kettlebell will be pulling in a direction mostly unrelated to your movement so the loading is strange.

You can do the floor back extension loaded just hold a weight. The further you hold it from your head the more challenging the movement will be.

Not the same but along these lines you may want to check out a kettlebell good morning - you can load these on your back or hold in front. It will involve more moving parts but you’d be able to ultimately load and scale it much easier.

No it’s not insane, although someone will probably come along and explain why this will cripple you and explode your spine.

@gaconvn Are the good mornings and back extensions fungible? They never felt like it.

the kettlebell will be pulling in a direction mostly unrelated to your movement so the loading is strange.

What I did was extend my back while bearing the load on my chest and then pausing for a few moments at the bottom before standing upright - unconventional? Sure, but it felt pretty similar to a floor back extension.

@rynsey No, they’re not interchangeable. There won’t be the dynamic extension of the spine in the good morning. It’ll be static but you can load it so much heavier and probably in more reasonable increments.

If the goal is to get something similar to the 45° hyper (back extension part not the hip extension) I think the prone floor raise with weight is the simplest option. Or to do what you originally suggested but start from a seated position. Bell held on chest, torso as close to parallel as you can manage and then extend.

Interesting question, never though about this specific movement before.

@gaconvn I will try that. The standing position is more suited to an isometric hold, sitting will allow dynamism.

Do you have any opinion on the position of the legs when doing this or a seated good morning? Knees together like sitting at the edge of seat vs spread apart like when straddling a bench?

@juancarlos I am aware of the McGill Big 3 and do appreciate it, however I tend to prefer standing exercises over seated ones and prefer seated ones over floor exercise. So I am always on the lookout for standing versions of good non-standing exercises.

So with regards to the Bird-Dog I found this (vertical Bird Dog from Dan John) and do prefer that over the regular Bird Dog. I am trying to find/create the standing equivalent of the Cobra pose/Upward Facing Dog/Roman Chair Hyperextension.

The standing version is mainly an ab excercise as your back muscles don't bring your shoulders back on top of your hips.

That's my fault, I didn't explain what I did accurately; what I actually did was extend my back while bearing the load on my chest and then pausing for a few moments at the bottom before standing upright. The isometric hold part of this movement is what I consider the floor back extension equivalent and not the movement of the spine from neutral to extension and back to neutral. However, doesn't that movement involve the erector spinae too apart from the abs?

@rynsey I get that sometimes you just don't want to get on the floor, or you have knee isuees or whatever the reason might be. The problem with standing vs quadruped&co is that you cannot change the direction of gravity. It becomes a different exercise. Not necessarily bad or useless, but different.

Yeah, Dan calls it vertical bird dog, but is it really? In a bird dog you are extending the leg against gravity, but when you stand, you are doing the opposite movement against gravity. I always figured the marching he includes in fairly many programs is a standing version of crawling, with the point being mainly movement and the nervous system, and not muscles so much, and that is similar in a bird dog and a "standing bird dog". I'm no Stu McGill so I don't know if he would consider the standing version an okay replacement.

I understood what you mean with your standing back extensions and I don't think the pause changes anything. When you are leaning back, the gravity is pulling you down, not so much your back extensors and your abs are very much working to not let your bend too far backward. You don't even have to use any muscles and you can basically rest on the spine, which is ... not good. Same kind of bad we do a lot when slouching without any muscle activity. Resting on the spine, hoping the ligaments keep us up.

But sure, you can engage your back extensors in any position and any alignment. Gravity will make things easier or harder. Prone back extension is pretty easy to understand as you must work against gravity. When you are standing, gravity is already doing the work and you must contract your muscles against nothing, or your abs. And the abs will need to do the work to fight against both your back muscles but also gravity.

So, depending on the goals I suppose there is overlap in function. If you really get the same result from prone and standing versions, I can't really argue with that. You do you.

@juancarlos
I'm no Stu McGill so I don't know if he would consider the standing version an okay replacement.

That is a good question - I should try and find out what Stu McGill thinks about this variation of the move.

I just checked his books - he does recommend the standing Bird-dog (for people with knee issues) but it looks very different from how Dan John describes/does it.

@rynsey That is indeed quite different. Dan's also needs you to stand on one leg which can be hard, and a good thing to improve, but not the point of the bird dog. I guess you found your standing bird dog version then!

@gaconvn One: it's a matter of convenience - exercises I can do standing, with simple equipment like a KB, DB, or loop-band, I can do anywhere, anytime. Things which require a clean floor or specialized equipment add extra constraints of time, location and cost.

Also, I do like the exercise that much lesser as it goes closer to the floor - maybe it's just that when I exercise my mind kinda is in fight mode and dislikes positions proportional to how much it makes me vulnerable. I don't have a better explanation/guess for how I feel about this.

Back