Looking for advice on my routine for Fat loss and gains

scribe1955

I’m 18M, 87kg looking to both lose fat and gain muscle, I can only go to the gym 3 times a week and cycle 1km there and back. Every other day I do at home ab workouts. I recently made a new routine based on advice I found in the subreddit. I warm up with a 1km jog on a treadmill and do a post workout HIIT session for fat loss. My main concern is if workout is enough for good muscle growth and if I’m working my legs enough. Thx for the help.

Day 1: Chest, Back, and Arms
  • Incline Dumbbell Press - 5 Sets 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 Reps
  • Dumbbell Fly - 3x12
  • Dumbbell Kickback – 3x15
  • Bench Dip – 10 Sets 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Reps
  • Push Up – 10 Sets 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Reps
  • Tricep Pushdown – 2x20
  • Standing Cable Fly – 3x15
Day 2: Legs
  • Dumbbell Lunge – 3 Sets 1 Minute
  • Single-Leg Hip Extension – 3x15 (Each Leg)
  • Leg Curl – 3x12
  • Romanian Deadlift – 3x12
  • Barbell Squat – 10 Sets 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Reps
Day 3: Biceps, Triceps and Lats
  • One-Arm Dumbbell Row – 3x12
  • Neutral-grip pulldown – 3x12
  • Bent-Over Row – 3x12
  • Dumbbell Curl – 3x12
  • Barbell Curl – 3x12
  • Hammer Curl – 3x12
  • Dumbbell Kickback– 3x15

@scribe1955 If you push yourself with the weights and eat enough you will gain muscle. The balance of losing fat and gaining muscle, id suggest eating more protein and just try not to over indulge in “unhealthy foods”. Eat till you’re full on healthier choices and see how your body reacts and how your weight and size trends. You do a good amount of cardio though so I’m not really worried about over eating for you. The 3 day a week split should be just fine.
I personally think you are working legs enough, I tend to hit legs once a week. The day will include squats, Rdl’s, and the leg extensions/curls.

Good luck and have fun with your training!

@scribe1955 Fat loss is simple; eat less than you burn. I also have some shocking news for you as well. The type of exercise you do doesn’t really matter as long as you’re hitting all the necessary groups.

More prolonged, low intensity workouts are the best for burning fat. What many people don’t know is that sugar is the body’s PRIMARY energy source and fats are secondary. Although every nutrient is an energy source, the body will only use those other nutrients in the name of survival. Your body burns fat and carbs in a ratio. More intense exercise calls for faster energy demand and therefore the body will use more carbs than fat so as to not waste time converting fat to sugars. Lower intensity workouts doesn’t have as much demand for energy as fast and therefore the body can spend time breaking down fats for energy and thus, more fat is burned.

If you want to build muscle, eat a lot of protein. Lots of it. Lower your carbs intake i.e rice, bread, flour based stuff etc. as excess sugar is stored as adipose tissue, better known as fat.

It all boils down to knowing your body and knowing how much you can eat with or without gaining weight. Reddit won’t know this part. I know to myself I can eat 4 whole fucking rotisserie chickens in a week and barely gain a y weight, if any at all. However I know some people who can drink a glass of water and go up 10 pounds /s.