loosing belly fat?

jrminoh419

hi im a ftm guy, 18 yrs old.
ive been mildly chubby ever since i hit puberty, and ive really disliked they way clothes have looked on my body. (enough w the self deprication lmao)
ive been working out my whole life, but i feel like i never see any progress. my whole goal is to lower a pants size and loose my belly fat b/c im 5'0 and finding pants that are short in length and big in width is really hard.
im really tired of being that friend that can never take body pictures, without just looking big. im just really tired of just seeing all the trendy clothes and they just never look good on me as they do other people.
please let me know any workout routine that has helped with belly fat loss, as well as foods that have helped with it as well. im willing to try everything.
i think also genetics might be a play maybe i do have a wide ribcage and i just dont know it, but i work a lot on my waist (waist training) so i don't have a much of an issue.

@jrminoh419 “Waist training” isn’t going to help you lose fat. Consistently eat less calories than you burn, and engage in a physical activity that you enjoy. Hiking, biking, running, lifting, calisthenics, etc.

Give the wiki of r/fitness a read.

@comyn7 thank you! i know waist training isnt going to help loose fat, it's just a body shape thing that i like!
but i appreciate your advice in calories, i think i need to focus on that. i do a lot of those physical activities, and i think i do need to focus on what i eat.

@jrminoh419 You cannot spot-reduce fat. The ONLY way to get rid of it is to burn more calories than u consume. Google to find free calorie calculators. They’ll tell you how many calories to eat to maintain your current weight and how many to eat to lose pounds to your goal weight. At first it’s tough but as you eat less your stomach shrinks and it takes less to make you feel full. If you reduce 200-500 calories a day from your maintenance weight and get 10k steps a day, at your age, it’ll come off quickly. When you get down to your goal weight start weight training to put on some lean muscle. If you have about 15-20lbs to lose this will take maybe 6-8 months or so, give or take. Start now and you’ll have a beach body by June.

@jrminoh419 This is 100% a calorie issue. Simply put, you're eating too much. Now that's that's a tactless way of putting it, but it's the nuts and bolts of the issue. The only way to achieve what you're trying to achieve is by putting yourself in a calorie deficit - ie, eating fewer calories than you burn off.

Simplest way to start is by simply reducing the portions of food you currently eat, and basing those meals around a protein source first and foremost. After that, don't drink your calories. Try to reduce snacking as much as possible. And keep an eye on what happens at the weekend - it's easy to blow an entire week of calorie deficit in a single night.

@jrminoh419 You can’t spot reduce fat. Reducing body fat is a matter of being in a caloric deficit.

Figure out what your actual BMR is, and go into a deficit with a combination of diet and exercise.

@jrminoh419 You can't spot reduce. You will have to reduce your overall body fat %. Download a tracking app and watch your calories. Do a mix of cardio and strength training.

@jrminoh419 What are your stats? I’m 23M (5’10”) that has gone from 250-207 in 3 months so I have some experience with weight loss. Overall, exercise is 1/4 of the battle, the other 3/4 is diet. Put in your stats into a TDEE calculator (https://tdeecalculator.net) to determine your maintenance needs, eat 500 calories below that (I use a Walmart food scale), and see how that goes. If you are looking for other options, dropping carbs (like r/keto or r/carnivore) will help swap your body to burning fat instead.

@jrminoh419 That’s wonderful. What are your goals besides the belly fat loss? Assuming my numbers from the TDEE is correct, 124 is the top range of your ideal weight. I’d honestly look at getting your lean body mass up because 1: it’ll fill out your figure more, 2: it’ll make your muscles be able to be seen under more fat if there is more of them, 3: muscle mass burns calories, so more more mass you have, the more you’ll burn

@jrminoh419 You just need to eat less. Calorie deficit is the only way to lose fat. And the only way to tackle belly fat is to lose fat all over. If you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much.

Getting in the gym and training your entire body combined with hitting your protein goals (minimum 80-100g a day should be fine for your size based on another comment I see), will allow you to build/maintain muscle which is important. Otherwise, just losing weight will have you end up skinny fat.

Waist training is absolute garbage. It does nothing. It's a scam sold to women. It doesnt remove fat and it doesn't alter shape.

Genetics is also just another cope. Genetics determine where you store your fat. But genetics doesn't make you fat.

@jrminoh419 Short answer: the only way to lose fat of any kind is to consume fewer calories than you burn.

Long answer: to do this, almost everyone can lose weight on a 1500 calorie/day diet. It's technically considered a starvation diet but is high enough to still allow you to get vital nutrients/vitamins and necessary protein levels, but anything higher than 1800 likely won't do the trick unless you're extremely physically active and/or have a lot of muscle mass. You must stick with your calorie deficit consistently, no cheating. Some people justify cheat meals once every week, but for a beginner who is really trying to lose weight, eating a single cheat meal once every two weeks should be the most you do (if any at all), and the cheat meal shouldn't put you more than 600 calories over your limit. Remember: just one day of overeating can erase a lot of the progress you made in a week. For example, if you are eating 2-300 calories less than you normally do, and you overeat by 1000 calories, then those extra calories spread out over 5 days of a 200 calorie deficit, erasing your progress by getting stored as sugar/water retention in the muscles and maybe a little fat conversion.

Helpful heads up: the first 10-15 pounds of weight loss is water and glycogen, not fat. This means that you will likely experience a new kind of more intense hunger after having lost 10-15 pounds, because when you burn fat you release different hunger-inducing hormones/metabolites than when you're simply burning sugar in your muscles and liver.

Ways to reduce hunger pangs: First, its important to know: you can't make the hunger go away. You'll have periods of time where it doesn't seem as bad or you forget about it, but ultimately you will always be hungry. Anyways: most people eat more later at night, so go to bed earlier to avoid getting the nighttime munchies. Wake up earlier, as most people find it difficult to eat early in the morning (like 5 or 6 a.m.). Drink more water (half a gallon a day is a good goal, although slightly more or slightly less is fine since everyone is different). Consume more fiber and protein (i.e., whole fruits and vegetables, and lean unprocessed meats). Fiber traps sugars and fats in the stool so its harder for the body to absorb for weight gain. It also draws water into the colon, distending the bowels which creates a sensation of being full by releasing satiety hormones. Protein has similar effects. Protein by itself slows gut motility, so be sure to not overconsume as it can cause constipation.

Fat is very calorie dense. This makes it so weight loss journey's aren't fast. The fastest rate of weight loss while still technically being healthy (i.e., avoiding malnourishment and adverse hormone effects like devastating androgen production, or harming sleep cycles) is 2.5 lbs/week for most people. There is a bit of a skewed curve for this, as obviously your bodyfat and muscle tissue concentrations affect this, but 2-ish lbs/week is a good general ceiling for most people. More than that and you should probably be eating more.

Sure, exercising more can help burn more calories, but don't rely on it as a weight loss technique, because ultimately your body will compensate for the extra exercise by releasing more hunger-inducing hormones because it senses the increased energy expenditure and wants to make up for it. Also, intense exercise tends to only burn a handful of calories. For example, running for an hour may only burn 200 or so calories, which is a cup of boiled pasta with no sauce or butter or anything.. and you'll be really hungry after the running. So, rely on diet more than exercise.

Good luck.

P.S. Don't ever feel bad about your body. It's an incredible thing. Hollywood and marketers have convinced people that to be considered as "looking good" we need to have large amounts of muscle and a low percentage of bodyfat, but the reality is that these images are not only unsustainable and unrealistic for most people, but also actually unhealthy. Get down to like 12-15%, focus on performance in the gym and eating healthy foods, and then be happy with yourself.

@jrminoh419 Start with keto diet. Very little
Carbs. You will drop 5-6lbs like that. Then slowly lose more each week. This plus working out you will drop lbs. as your fitness improves add back in carbs, slowly. Many people have a hard time
Kicking carbs and extra sugar due to cravings. Keto
Solves that.

Back