Mark Rippetoe thinks putting women in concentration camps is an "interesting take"

brianhex

I'm not sure if this post is allowed but I think ya'll should know who (not) to support.

There's this IG profile @you.look.like.a.man that calls out sexist and mysogynic comments on women in sports and this terrifying thing has been posted yesterday:

Screenshot

Full post on IG

Text:

Comment left on Rippetoe's forum:

Don't bargain with or comply with anything a
woman says at this point. They're all basically
terrorists and need about a 10-week beat down
whole as a gender (literally, phsyical beatdown
camp) to distend this inflated ego that
somehow got created.
They also know how to play good cop / bad
cop and will stick to woman overall, so this one
"reasonable" lady just showed there's blood in
the water for the other sharks to turn up the
heat because if someone gives a reasonable
argument the man with power will back down.
At this point, women should only be dealt with
on a discussion/material basis if they are
begging for scraps of food at your feet and are
willing to do literally anything for you, anything
else is some fucking bullshit hive-mind
nonsense and you better wise the fuck up
because I'm tired Of dealing with this
An interesting take. I know some women who
would agree with this. Which kinda muddies the
water.

Rippetoe's reply:

An interesting take. I know some women who would agree with this. Which kinda muddies the water.

In case you don't know him, he's very well known in the weightlifting world, mostly for his "Starting Strength" book and program. Probably comparebale to Bret Contreras on a popularity scale (and now also on the mysogynic scale, jeez.)

@brianhex I would pay no mind to Rippetoe at all. He's gone full batshit conspiracy theorist. His dogmatic approach to training is to promote his brand and make money. For instance, most strength coaches would say that a trainee who simply wants to gain strength but not compete in powerlifting can use the trap bar deadlift and get good results. Rippetoe thinks the trap bar is a "useless piece of junk." Why? Because it requires little to no coaching. If a lift requires no coaching then Rippetoe and his cadre of Starting Strength Coaches can't make money. Same with the low bar squat which tends to require more coaching than the high bar squat. But everyone should wear a lifting belt, and you're in luck because Starting Strength sells its own lifting belt.

It's a shame about Wendler. I always thought he was somewhat open-minded, at least compared to Rippetoe. For Wendler, high bar squats are fine, trap bars are fine, and using kettlebells for your assistance work is a great idea (Rippetoe also hates kettlebells, big surprise). I think the 5/3/1 program is sound, and many coaches have adapted Wendler's recommendation of using 90% of your 1RM as your training max. Wendler is also a proponent of conditioning and even says that a fit person should be able to run at least 1 mile in a decent time. This is heresy for Rippetoe.

If you're interested in trying 5/3/1 but don't want to give Wendler your money (which I understand) there are plenty of online resources and spreadsheets that will provide you with the gist of 5/3/1. Heck if anyone is interested I can summarize 5/3/1 in a fairly short post and provide links to online calculators. His subsequent books on 5/3/1 are simply improvements he made to the original template. The issue with the original template was that there really was not enough volume, especially for newer lifters. His 5/3/1 Forever is just a compilation of programs, all named after death metal bands, that he's designed over the years. Handy if you're like me and want "done for you programs," but nothing earth-shattering. TBH I usually end up doing my own version anyway. I use 5/3/1 as my basic template, but I keep adding weight after the last until until I reach a challenging but not a soul-crushing single. I always made good progress just working up to a challenging single each workout and some days I wonder why I even bother to buy programs.

@brianhex I used to have so much respect for rippetoe and what he did. His content was great for me in getting started in weight lifting but eventually I had to move on because my goals were different to what he preaches. The more I saw how dogmatic he is and how his podcast is starting to become more political than strength training content at this point. I came to learn about strength not some sexist crap and politics.

Back