Master Your Bar-Facing Burpees

chloejm

To start, here's to principles to keep in mind to maximize your efficiency across the board...

(1) Stay Low - don't stand up fully between reps & keep your center of mass as low as possible

(2) Stay Close - keep your head as close the bar as you do you burpee as possible

Next, pick a variation of the Bar-Facing Burpee that meets your current fitness level.

Option 1: The Diagonal Dash - reserved for Elite athletes only

Option 2: The 2-Step Shuffle - great for moving at a moderate pace through many reps

Option 3: The Worm - as you approach "the wall" pick this variation to allow you to keep moving

@ecc412 Perhaps. At a certain point, you are probably better off "breaking" the burpees and taking a resting posture than slowing them down any more. This certainly brings up a good point though.

@chloejm The burpee part of this is what's going to kill me in this workout. Like hitting a brick wall slow. I have rare days where they just fall from the heavens and I just move like normal. Hoping I get that gift from heaven tomorrow. I already have scoliosis and hip problems and back problems so i'm hoping this doesn't put me in a wheelchair lol!! RX and bail!

@chloejm Make sure to practice your 1 foot take offs, can save a lot of time from trying to figure it all out minutes before you start in your head or during the wod. Left foot up, spin to the left, right foot up, spin right. Alternate to not get dizzy, good luck everyone

@chloejm 2-step shuffle is generally my go to but ive never thought too much about it and never realised it had a name.

Generally like doing it that way because its easy to find a consistent rhythm and most workouts I've done with bar-facing burpees in them the burpees are 'the rest', so I value the consistency over the speed of it.

@chloejm one of the tips from WodPrep that I always use, when youre doing burpees over something, is to use chalk to mark targets for your hands. With deadlifts the bar will mostly stay in the same area, not bouncing all over like if you were doing snatches. So putting marks on the floor so you can aim your hands will help you stay close to the bar (Tip #2).

Back