Meati - worth it?

stugray

Cross posted from r/vegan. On sale at my local Whole Foods. Steak is ~$8 with prime, chick’n ~$7. For only 2 servings in the package I am feeling like it’s a no but I am also curious to try. Thoughts? I know the macros are excellent but groceries are expensive.

@stugray Meati is freaking amazing. Best steak and chicken replacement I’ve ever had. It’s hard to eat alternatives now after having meati.

I typically stock up when Whole Foods has them on sale. I got a buy 2, get one free deal last week.

(Not sponsored lol)

@mrtea Dude they’re wild. The chicken is weird to eat - feels really close to real. And the protein is so nice. My omnivore fiancée and I often just eat them as healthier snacks, especially the carne asada.

@stugray I purchased 6 boxes of the carne asada steaks and used them for my fam of 4 for two different thanks giving meals this year. Other folks got to try some just yesterday and those carnivores were raving about the taste and texture.

Meati is FAR better than Juicy Marbles and a fraction of the cost. Meati is our go to now.

@stugray I did not expect to like a mushroom based meat alternative, compared to Seitan and the like, but holy shit does this stuff rule. Especially the steak.

@stugray While a bit pricier, if you can swing it, it's an incredible treat! Everyone in my house fights over the last pieces. I now buy double what I was buying before and we have it a few times a month.

@stugray I just got some soy curls and a few other things at fake meats online and saw the meati products there. I don’t know what the shipping costs bc of refrigeration. Glad to know they are good. I’m not much of a fake meat person in general… soy curls is a big leap for me.

@stugray I'm so surprised so many people love it, I really did not enjoy the steak or the chicken. I guess I'll have to try again if anyone wants to give suggestions on how they cooked it!

@johnhenrygroenewald No I don’t. I usually let them go 5-7 mins per side so they get a nice sear on med to high heat. If it didn’t get enough color on one side, I’ll flip it back and do another 4-5. They’re going to look almost burned, but they don’t taste burned nor do they really crust up. They stay soft and I haven’t messed up the texture yet. I think they’re pretty forgiving honestly. Put a small dab of vegan butter in the pan before hand and let them sizzle

@stugray Having these things as a treat is fine but you can service your protein needs with pulses and nuts and get a whole lot of micronutrients that you miss out on when you eat fake meats and at a fraction of the cost.

@stugray The chicken products are really really good. Please be warned some people are allergic to the specific mushroom protein they use and cannot eat it. Usually stomach pain and vomiting is the outcome.

@stugray I've been waiting for meati for a long time. It's been pricey and unavailable in stores for a while (still in RnD). But it's lean mycoprotein and looks delicious.

I probably wouldn't make it a staple until it's cheaper. But now and then it's good. I'd check price per g of protein.

@stugray I’ve tried it twice now and I haven’t quite made up my mind. It definitely needs to be seasoned as it doesn’t really taste like much on its own. You also definitely need to let it rest for 5-10 minutes after cooking as the texture will be much nicer. My issue with it is that no matter how long I have cooked it, it is always very wet. The next time I cook it I am going to try scoring the outside and pressing while cooking a bit to get some of that moisture out.

@stugray YES.

I got it as soon as it showed up at my local Sprouts, and oh my God the breaded cutlet is amazing. Tons of protein and the best meat substitute I've ever had, hands down.

Back