Moving target KB complex part B program review

adelita

Hello, so after EE I jumped into "Moving target complex plan B" and just completed it. I chose this program in order to get used to 24 KG KBS more and improve my double strict press. And I have to say - oh boy it delivered...

PROGRAM DETAILS:

I used double 24 KG KBs on heavy days and 20 KG KBs on light days. There was only one minor change I did to the original program (reference: https://www.strongfirst.com/kettlebell-complex-programming-part-iii/): instead of cleans I did half double snatches on light days. Each workout began with 10 min warm up which consisted of mainly core exercises.

REST MANAGEMENT: I started each set only after my HR dropped back between 120-125 BPM. Although on weeks 6/7/8 my heart was refusing to jump much over 125 BPM mark during first sets even though volume increased significantly (images of HR changes provided below).

Additionally I did descending pull up ladders 3 times a week in order to sustain my gains from EE. Regarding pull up part I took 25%-30% from my max (5 from 20) and did it in this type of progression involving three different pull up grips (did it with 1 minute breaks after each):

https://preview.redd.it/hyoplcydc64...bp&s=85f6548c59bcf313c9fbd6303ae745024879fd37

At week 5 I stopped doing pull ups because I could not get over workout number 14. In addition to that overall volume with KB workouts started to take a toll on me so I simply decided to stop. On the top of that I performed 30-60 min LSS runs 2-3 times a week from week 3 till week 8 (I am preparing for tactical barbel protocols, wanted to test the waters of training 6 times a week combining weights/running). During 8 week period I ate approximately 3000 CAL per day.

FINAL RESULTS AND OBSERVATIONS:
  • At the beginning I weighted 94 Kgs (40% muscle mass, 15% body fat).
  • At the end weighted 92 Kgs ( 40% muscle mass, 17.4% body fat).
NOTE: Did not search for logic on this one - it seems that more sweating sometimes does not directly correspond to body fat loss.

2H 24KG KB strict press went from:
  • 6TRM (7RM)-> 11TRM (12RM);
NOTE: To my surprise 32kg press remained the same. It felt like I got more conditioned with 24 kg bells and simply could sustain the same load for longer but at the same time did not increase absolute strength that much. While pressing 24 kg bells they still feel as heavy as they were at the beginning of the program but it seems for me that I simply can continue pressing more/longer than before.

As already mentioned I tracked my HR every workout and in that area I saw significant changes. Despite the fact that volume increased my workout time became shorter:
  • At the beginning: average BPM per workout was 143-149 and workouts took between 35-42 min to complete;
  • At the end (from 5/6 week): average BPM per workout was 136-138 and workouts took between 31-33 mins to complete;
  • I want to emphasize that volume between first week and last weeks increased significantly (from 2x (235) to 2x (466)).
Visually it looked like this:

HR monitor at the beginning of the program:

https://preview.redd.it/steojphmb64...bp&s=83a6492880618206a41f39f548b77d4d9fc88590

HR at the end of the program:

https://preview.redd.it/t8r3w54ub64...bp&s=0ec2403cbbcaa19e61e2ae8bb5251c9a25975ed9
  • All in all I believe that this program is more oriented to conditioning although if rest periods between sets were longer and bigger variety of weights (intensity) were added it would probably serve more for strength development purposes.
  • It might be that running sessions sandwiched in between the KB workouts might have affected my recovery > final results a bit, BUT I cannot complain because after the program I can do almost twice strict presses than I could do before. I do think that I got more from this program with all the add ons than it could be expected without it.
Are there any thoughts how pull up progression might have been programmed from week 5 to maintain progress without stalling?

I am transitioning to tactical barbel green protocol capacity program afterwards. Will get back to pure KB work only in september.