My Accidental 2 Month Recomp: The Scale Ain't Shit!

shaunf

Hello!

I'm eternally grateful for posts like this for teaching me about body recomp in the past, so I'm here to share my own– I've done it purposely before, but this time it really was accidental since my original goal was to lose about five pounds.

TL; DR: I failed to cut calories for two months in pursuit of a planned cut and ended up recomping instead of cutting, thanks to very basic strength workouts and consuming lots of protein along the way. AKA fuck the scale I don't know her.

Current stats:
  1. Age: 27
  2. Height: 5'11"
  3. Starting weight: 162 lbs
  4. Current weight: 163 lbs
  5. Recomp time frame: Two months, February to April
Progress photo here: https://imgur.com/a/ml9OEae

Workout Routine

I've been doing a really simple full body dumbbell/kettlebell series about three times a week– I found it online, but now I can't dig up the link! Basically it's just three different daily plans, all with a few different push/pull, back, and lower body lifts every day. I tend to add a few minutes of abs at the end, but it takes me just about a half hour each day. Often I make modifications based on how I feel on the day, and I've moved up to heavier dumbbells since starting it. Super basic, super quick.

I've also started running several times a week just in the past month, which has probably helped me lose some of the more stubborn fat, but still has not affected my actual weight on the scale!

Diet/Nutrition

I probably shouldn't give much advice in this section, since I have been trying to stick to about 1700-1800 calories a day on this cut and largely failing to do that! I guess the lesson is if you cut calories a few days a week and then overeat the other days, it equates to eating at maintenance. :)

But I will say that I think the importance of protein in a recomp like this just can't be overstated– even if I'm not hitting my calorie goal, I try to stick to at least 160g of protein a day and I notice a clear different in my muscle visibility whenever I'm hitting that goal regularly. I eat chicken for at least one meal most days (salads, wraps, air fried chicken nuggets) and have been on an edamame pasta kick for dinners lately. Also I love Built Bars and eat cottage cheese constantly.

Other Tips/Takeaways

I've been really down about my weight recently since it feels like I've been busting my ass with no progress, and I'm *so* glad I took this picture yesterday and compared it to the one I took in February. I genuinely had no idea my body had changed to this degree, I was just so in my head about the number on the scale that I considered it a total failure. Now with the benefit of hindsight, I can see how this happened and the fact that I really have made progress, just not how I expected to. I guess I just wanted to share with others who may be too focused on numbers, and remind myself to chill out about the scale in the future. If you got this far, thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions!

@shaunf Wow girl congrats!!! We have very similar stats (almost exactly -- I'm 5'10 and 161 right now) and I've been really discouraged because the scale is not budging since I've started my recomp, if anything I've gained a pound or two (though I seem to be losing inches slowly). It's had me questioning if strength training is the way to get the look and body I want. This makes me feel much better about where my weight is at and motivates me to keep going!

@shaunf This post is SO encouraging!

I am on a weightloss journey, I started fully committed in February (was half-assing previously). I did a body scan, and took photos and measurements before I started. I have been eating fairly decent, lots of veggies and things. My weight dropped initially but went back up. I am literally hovering around the same weight, however some days I feel like my body is changing shape.

It is really discouraging to go by the scale, I am doing new photos and new measurements on the 15th of April for 2 months difference. This post has helped to keep me motivated as I was starting to get a bit discouraged!

@shaunf Super encouraging to see these changes in just two months and while eating around maintenance! Thanks for the reminder about how important protein is. My diet has been inconsistent lately and while my weight is about the same, I noticed I feel flabbier. I thought maybe I should cut, but maybe I just need to focus on that protein intake!

@shaunf This is very inspiring! It’s way too easy to focus on the number on the scale, despite how we look and feel! I felt my best, leanest, and most energetic at 126 lbs and lifting (relatively) heavy 5 times a week, but it was a huge mental hurdle to not get hung up on that number. Since then I’ve lost just shy of 20 pounds, do not have the energy to work out, and do not have much muscle tone. THIS reminds me to focus on what is important. This is beautiful and healthy, and I bet you feel as great as you look!

@shaunf Yeah! My mom commented that I look slimmer for my current weight, compared to when I was the same weight 3 years ago. Though, granted, this time I started at a heavier weight 6 months ago and have been lifting on and off since then. Don't underestimate the effects of lifting, even at a beginner level.

@shaunf Can I ask what the weight of the dumb bells is? I used to do mostly free form dumb bells as well and have been wondering what weight I need to use for gains. You look great too!

@shaunf Has that weight done this much for your legs and butt, as well? Thank you so much for your answer, definitely encouraged to try this workout :)

@dawn16 The 25s are enough if I rack them for squats and use them for RDLs, and I use the kettlebell for hip thrusts and single leg deadlifts! I'll probably have to get something heavier soon, but they're enough for now- I still get DOMS here and there!

@shaunf I really don’t understand the need to pack in so much protein. No shade on op because I think people should do what works best. I’m a meat eater, but I struggle to take in so much, and I’ve cut and built tremendous strength (enough so my CrossFit coach was surprised by it) on 80-90 ish per day. Muscle stimulus has a great deal to do with how we build muscle: you can build muscle on short fasts, provided you give the muscles enough stimulus (workouts) to keep HGH up. I’m not saying refeeding isn’t crucial, it is, but I wonder how much of this protein is really needed and used vs. excreted, in a proper weight training or muscle building program. Not to mention that in certain individuals, tons of protein can unduly stress the kidneys.

@asking79 Totally agree. I left a comment about it higher up because I think a lot of newbs see this and get initimidated. More doesn't always equal better. And more people need to be aware of that.

Back