My Accidental 2 Month Recomp: The Scale Ain't Shit!

@klara6 ESPECIALLY if there are preexisting conditions! People need to know that not everyone can take in this much safely. If you have healthy kidneys, great. But a young woman died a few years ago after consuming too many protein shakes. It’s not risk free. Nothing in life is, but a moderate approach to macros is always the safest, and still an effective way to get a good look plus good strength.

@asking79 I've found that it really makes an aesthetic difference for me– I wasn't focusing on protein at all in the first picture and hadn't been for months, and in the second picture I had upped it to my current range for two months. And even without the effect on muscle, it just makes me feel fuller, and it helps me in terms of food mentality to focus on adding protein instead of cutting calories. But everyone is different, glad your approach works for you!

@shaunf Interesting. I think it has a lot to do with satiety and the ability to cut calories when you’re full from protein as well. I certainly notice if I go too low that I’m hungry, and I don’t like being hungry! I utilize short fasts instead of doing several meals a day, and that also gives me the cut look: genetics may play into it too however since I easily build muscle and strength. You look great!

@shaunf You look great!

Could you give an overview of what your work out is or write it out? It sounds PERFECT for what I want to do next and your results are so encouraging. I'd really appreciate!

@redheadeddwarf I can't find the link but I found the original routine pasted in a really old note on my phone! I've made modifications over time based on personal preferences but this is the one I started with. Sorry for funky formatting, it was in a spreadsheet.

8 week/3 day dumbbell program

Exercise Sets Reps

1. Dumbbell Squat 3 10

2. Dumbbell Stiff Legged Deadlift 3 10

3. Bent Over Dumbbell Row 3 10

4. Dumbbell Bench Press 3 10

5. Lateral Raises 2 8

6. Standing Dumbbell Curl 2 8

7. Lying Dumbbell Extension 2 8

Exercise Sets Reps

1. Dumbbell Lunge 3 10

2. Dumbbell Hamstring Curl 3 10

3. Dumbbell Deadlift 3 10

4. Dumbbell Military Press 3 10

5. Dumbbell Flys 2 8

6. Hammer Curl 2 8

7. Seated Dumbbell Extension 2 8

Exercise Sets Reps

1. Dumbbell Step Up 3 10

2. Dumbbell Stiff Legged Deadlift 3 10

3. One Arm Dumbbell Row 3 10

4. Reverse Grip Dumbbell Press 3 10

5. Dumbbell Rear Delt Fly 2 8

6. Zottman Curl 2 8

7. Close Grip Dumbbell Press 2 8

@laperladelsur I have two 15lb dumbbells, two 25lb dumbbells, and a 40lb kettlebell. I use the 15s for most arms stuff but have recently switched to the 25s for the rows and bench. I use both 25s or the kettlebell for the lower body stuff.

@shaunf I'm so happy you posted this! I'm 5'11 as well, and went from 150lbs to 157-160lbs within a year with tons of weight training. And I still question if I'm lean enough. And I looked at your pictures and I was like: "I hope I can look like her one day!"
For us, tall, fit ladies the scale is serious an enemy! In my whole life I felt I'm too big, too heavy. Yeah, I'm never going to be tiny, 100lbs, but I DO NOT HAVE TO BE!
You look amazing! And keep up the good work!

@earthboundmisfit929 Agree from a fellow tall lady! I started strength training 5 months ago and the very few times I’ve weighed myself out of curiosity, the number has only gone up. I’m actually the heaviest I’ve ever been. But when I look in the mirror and can see muscle development it’s more motivating than any number on the scale!

It's true. I'm currently 5'7" and starting my muscle gaining and cardio fitness journey at about 127ish pounds and it blows my mind seeing some people's progress pics who way tens of pounds more than me and look leaner. I totally get it but it still blows my mind how much you can weight and still look lean.

how exciting! what's your programming like?

i think many fail to realize that weightlifting strengthens your BONES as well, and denser bones means heavier bones! what an awesome reason to train and not be afraid of the scale weight going up.

Long story short I'm still working out the programming. Mostly focusing on building the habit of going to the gym and working on cardio most days. I know a lot of people frown on doing a lot of cardio but it really helps my mental health and for health reasons I need to work on it. Currently I can only jog for about 3 minutes at a time before my heartrate is up to the 180s so it's a work in progress.

For strength I'm definitely still figuring that out. Currently I cannot do any pushups or pullups so I'm trying to get into the habit of doing some exercises to get me closer to those regularly.

I know I should probably have a more specific plan of what I'm doing each day of the week but I'm kind of a perfectionist and really beat myself up for not sticking to my plans. I usually set really lofty goals of the ideal routine and then wear myself out in a couple of weeks and completely fall off.

Any tips or advice welcome!

good for you! i hear you with the perfectionism. it sounds like you have a lot of awareness though. i coach strength and conditioning, so i could write you a program, but you probably know what you need to do. there are also tons of programs out on the interwebs.
i find it's accountability that is key! ...and stay progression, especially for building strength... which absolutely includes days off if you start to burn out.

if cardio makes you feel amazing, go for it! just remember that getting stronger and building lean mass has 5 million benefits and is worth the long journey....and becomes really important as you age.

really excited for you. :)

Back