My fitness goal: be able carry my 130 lbs partner from the couch to the bed without waking her up. How to achieve?

@whatgoeshere Obviously not the same but I’ve trained to be able to carry my 100 pound dog, and front squats and zercher squats have been the most useful for that. I thought it would be deadlifts but having the weight up in front of you makes a difference.

@dawn16 Similar. I'm a veterinary nurse so I regularly lift large dogs.

Biceps and lats are going to be big. You definitely want your traps/lats to be on point because you'll be engaging them to stay stable. Obviously biceps will be flexed through this as well.

But squats are definitely going to be a huge base start. They'll help with trap engagement and, of course, the initial lift.

@ecowarrior All big dogs think they're little. I think it might be that they all started little, and they don't realize they can't do the thing they did as puppies?

@gurshwin Be careful with it if you do! Mine did a big struggle spasm while I was lifting her over a fence last summer and she broke my nose and gave me a concussion while flailing around 😅

@aleaderwasborn For a while my 60ish pound dog developed a fun habit of climbing up my weird attic stairs and then being too afraid to come back down by himself. He’s also very squirmy and nervous about being picked up, which made us both liable to get hurt on the way down the stairs! I ended up discovering that if I swaddled him like a giant baby first, the whole process went much more smoothly. And luckily I now live in a single-level place with no weird attic stairs 😅

@aleaderwasborn I have a Bassett mix with a weird long body and she HATES being picked up. She’s always a terrible wiggle monster about it and there isn’t a great way to hold her even if she was still. Thankfully she’s only 45lbs so it’s more awkward than dangerous.
I’m sorry to hear about your nose!

@rajky Unrelated to fitness, but my parents have an elderly basset who needs lifting sometimes now. The secret to avoid the weird spasm/wiggle/thrash is good butt support