My journey to a pro bodybuilder

@samanthamturner Question: if I wanted to seek out a great trainer like you. What should I do and look out for?
Also what expenses am I looking at in regards to the trainer himself?

I am from Los Angeles, CA.

@eskokukko It depends on your interests. There are plenty of great personal trainers out there for general fitness. Mine just happens to be more geared towards competitive bodybuilders. You can find them through your local gym, seminars, bodybuilding shows, IG, or just ask someone who competes in your area who they train with. Lots of coaches that can’t fit you in are more than happy to recommend someone. I pay anywhere from $100-$150/month depending on if I’m in season or off-season.

@samanthamturner What makes you a pro? I just recently joined this sub as a previous gym owner and trainer. I admit I know nothing about bodybuilding organizations or competitions.

I ask this because it seems like every one is “pro” on the sub. Like in my mind those kind of terms should be for the elites only.

@alej The category you're competing in has to have a minimum amount of competitors. Each class in a category has 1 winner (short, medium, tall or by weight). These winners are then judged against each other for the "overall" title. The winner of the overall than receives a pro card and can only now compete against other pros.

@alej You got it. I can now only compete in shows that offer a pro category. This really limits the amount of shows I can actually do, since pros are much harder to come by than amateurs so very few shows offer a pro category.

@samanthamturner Oh yeah that makes it much harder I assume! Plus your only competing against previous winners so seems more difficult. Also fair to amateurs though in my mind. That makes way more sense to me how these shows work. I’m trying to learn as much as possible. You look amazing by the way. Started out tall and skinny. Helps with that amazing core because you’ve never had fat on it! GL, keep it up!

Also now makes sense why so many pros on this sub.

@samanthamturner Dope write up bro, so I have a similar body type as you. I am 6 foot 2 at about 180 pounds. Been lifting around 5 years with not enough results. What training split and sets and reps helped you build the most muscle mass? Thanks