My roommates keep calling me gym obsessed.

kmar123

Okay so, they’re seriously saying I have an unhealthy addiction with the gym, and it’s reaching a point where I’m embarrassed to say I’m going to workout if they ask me what are my plans for X day.

I genuinely don’t believe I am because I respect my rest days. Yesterday for example I had a heavy flow and felt tired, so I decided to stay home and order takeout, which didn’t feel wrong at all to me - I was okay with not hitting the gym and being indulgent with my appetite as it’s not a frequent thing. I was also planning to go this morning before work but once again my body felt too tired so I chose not to go.

I feel better now so I made an offhand comment to my roomies like “eh, I feel better now and I don’t have any plans this Friday, I might as well go workout later as I have nothing better to do” and holy shit they started screaming about how im addicted and that I should stay on the couch because it’s Friday night. They were half joking so I laughed it off but one of them even said I had a serious addiction.

I usually workout 5 to 6 days a week, with 3 to 4 days dedicated to strength training, 1 day of dancing and 1 day of yoga. I try to reach between 5 to 10k steps daily. This seriously doesn’t feel that much at all to me, its a schedule I’m very happy with and I don’t feel like it’s over exercising. But it’s reaching a point where I’m doubting myself - no one in my circle is as active as I am and most of them are starting to make comments like the ones my roommates make.

How do you deal with this? Working out honestly makes me so happy and I find it ridiculous that I now have to hide my routine / avoid talking about it so as not to be called a gym freak.

@kmar123 I do about the same as you and I've often heard the same from friends, coworkers, etc. (None of whom work out regularly or consistently)

Like you, I take rest days, and on my heavy flow days IF I work out, it's pretty low energy. I prefer active recovery days for the most part. Personally I'd consider yoga and Pilates active rest, along with any walking.

Your roommates are just a) jealous (of your dedication, motivation and probably your physique) and b) feeling guilty because they're lazy. As someone once said; "People are really sensitive about being exposed as the fat lazy fucks they are deep down inside"

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

If you find yourself skipping out on family get togethers or plans with friends because you have to work out, or working out when you're sick, exhausted or in pain, then reconsider. But it doesn't sound like you are. You probably feel 1000x better working out or being active than lazing around on the couch anyway. (Although those days are nice and enjoyable every once in awhile, like you said)

@kmar123 It honestly doesn’t sound like you have an unhealthy relationship with exercise. Your workout schedule is pretty balanced in my opinion and the fact that you do listen to your body, take rest days and are open to someone else’s suggestions is very telling.

BUT I am going to play devil’s advocate anyways: what if your roommates were right?

Exercise addiction can be very sneaky and sometimes an outsider’s perspective is incredibly helpful. Maybe your roommates noticed something that you are ignoring and they are genuinely trying to help.

That said, communication is always key. If I were you, I would ask them if they are truly concerned for your health or just a bit annoyed by the fact that you have different values.
Maybe, as many people already mentioned, they just feel bad about their own lifestyle and they are trying to project that on you. But it’s better to be safe than sorry AND, if you find out that they aren’t actually worried, you can try to work out the issue and maybe make them more involved in your lifestyle!

@kmar123 Here’s how to know if you are “addicted” to working out:

Do you workout/diet/obsess even to the detriment of your physical, emotional, social or any other form of wellbeing? Does skipping a session or having a cheat meal or otherwise relaxing cause you anxiety?

If not then you’re just disciplined or enjoying a hobby.

You aren’t working out anywhere near enough to be raising alarm bells. I’ve done 6+ sessions of weights per week + extra stuff and even then didn’t consider it too much. Pro athletes may easily do double that or more too, depending on the sport.

@kmar123 Find friends at the gym! Not saying you should drop them, but part of the push back is it probably makes them feel guilty for not working out. I’ve made lifelong friends at my CrossFit gym

@kmar123 They need to look up the definition on “obsessed” honestly lol

Like if it’s not getting in a way of your daily life, relationships or wellbeing in general, there is nothing wrong with it

@kmar123 As someone who feels like going to the gym is absolute torture, I also find it mind blowing that anyone can enjoy it. That being said, I am also a grown adult who has come across many many people who act and feel very differently than me and I have long since grown out of trying to question people for their differences.

@kmar123 Meh, nothing you've said sounds over-the-top to me. I think it's easier for some people to assume the fit person has some kind of abnormality rather than recognise their own sedentary behaviour.

@thegodinme Yeah honestly what bugs me is that I used to have way worse “hobbies” (heavy drinking being one of them) to cope with anxiety and no one batted an eye. People only started making comments when I developed healthy habits that don’t even interfere with me socializing.

@kmar123 Gonna get slapped for this, but I would start by saying I’ve been a personal trainer, and concurrently worked in mental health (and still do going on 20 years).

I totally do support healthy lifestyle and choices. I recognize that it’s a very disciplined life and the best part, is only you get the rewards of it. No one can do it for you.

I would just point out that (especially if you’re young), have balance. Don’t let life pass you by, have some fun. Build relationships that you enjoy, even if that’s with friends in the gym. If your roommates are going out drinking every Friday, nah you’re better off in the gym most of those, but hang out with them once a month or so. You don’t have to blow a wad of cash or get wasted. But laugh with them, enjoy yourself as much as you are dedicated to the gym.

@psalm6819 Thanks for the comment!

I realize my post might have made me sound like I don’t have a social life just because I pointed out I didn’t go out on a Friday night, but really that’s not the case :’) I do believe I have a great, healthy social life - I probably meet up with friends 3 to 4 times a week to catch up, for brunch, for movie Marathons, etc. I’m just not used to go out on Fridays, idk why, most of my plans just come up the rest of the week haha. It’s a balance I’ve worked hard to maintain and I always plan out my workouts around times when I know I won’t do anything with people. If I hit the gym it’s always early before work, or on Friday nights, or Sunday mornings when everyone’s asleep lol. I even catch up with my family through FaceTime when I hit the treadmill (they live far away).

So yeah, I know I don’t need to justify myself but still wanted to clear that up!

@kmar123 They're probably jealous. As long as you respect your body's limits, don't take steroids or something like this I cannot imagine a better "addiction" than working out. It's relaxing, you can listen to music or podcasts, it makes you body produce free, safe, and natural happy hormones ... It's perfect.

@kmar123 Pfffft they're just jealous! What's wrong with getting an hour-2hour work out in, THEN go sit on the couch? People HATE seeing others do better when they come from then same place. The gym is an addiction but its a good one, especially if it helps you mentally.

@kmar123 Don't doubt yourself - ESPECIALLY if you're happy. They're not doing it out of genuine concern. Your schedule is total reasonable.

Not sure how long you've been on this fitness journey but you'll quickly learn to ignore anyone that isn't very experienced in the gym about any of this stuff. People that don't work out at all love to give their input when they haven't dedicated 1% of the time researching and learning that you have.