What can I do when I’m young to keep healthy when I’m older?

@burialchoice I'm 39F. Strength training at this time in my life is paramount. It helped correct my iliotibial band issus with running. I have a wide hip to knee angle. It helps keep enough muscle to combat excess fat. I also have a job prone to musculoskeletal disorders. It helps to support my joints. I should also be doing more yoga for stretching. At 25 I was a cardio bunny. It wasn't until my 30's that I appreciated strength training.

@burialchoice My mom has been a runner pretty much her while life, but she still looks old because she didn’t embrace a skin care routine until her 40’s. She frequently got sunburns and ran without a hat, and got windburns in the harsh winter winds. It has taken a toll. She has had skin cancer on her ear twice, and did chemo cream to burn it off.

Wear sunblock even when you think you don’t need it, wear a hat, sunglasses, sunblock and long sleeves, etc. Prevent damage we’ll before you think it could happen.

@sharkofthecovenant The reoccurring theme here is definitely sunscreen... which I am already pretty good about but admit I don’t wear it unless I’m intentionally being in the sun all day (beach, pool)... I realize that I’ll often spend the morning running and do yardwork in the afternoon, which results to 6+ hrs outside without sun protection. Great point!

@burialchoice As others have said, staying mobile in general.

I'd pay special attention to your core, and even more attention to your back. You can do that with yoga, calisthenics, isometric exercises, or weights, but keeping your back healthy and strong will save you so much pain and stress down the road.

Related to that is good posture in general. If I could tell pre-teen me anything, I'd tell her to pay attention to her posture. Good posture helps maintain a strong back, and it's critical in so many activities that we take for granted (dance, running, cycling at a minimum).

I'd also tell younger me to floss. I've lost a bit of gum tissue, and flossing would have prevented that.

And trust me on the sunscreen.

@burialchoice I was a runner and an athlete in college. I was on the crew team at a big 10 school. After college I got into marathons and distance running. I wish I had been more serious about weight training and functional fitness when I was in my 20s. I think I would have been a better runner if I had just focused a little less on my runs and took the time to learn how to weight train effectively. And instead of just looking lean, I probably would have looked lean and toned.

@burialchoice Eating habits.

You can lift, do mobility and flexibility all you want but what you ready and the quality of your food and drink can setback anything you do physically.

Just keeping up your macros and eating whole foods while limiting or eliminating processed foods can go a long way.

Around 0.6g of protein per pound of bodyweight for maintenance, and then fat and carbs distributed based on if you like low carb or low fat diets better. Of course enough Vitamin D, making sure you're not deficient in zinc or copper, and balancing out any other mineral deficiencies.

Getting enough sleep.

7 hours is the rough number for enough sleep. It's hard with how modern society is and whatever responsibilities you have but much of what messes up anyone's body is a lack of sleep.

@burialchoice Everything you're doing, also stay off processed foods, learn a new language and stay social. Exercise, learning a new language, and being social are the only things that make you smarter, live longer, delay dementia etc.

Also eat capsicum/chilis, and drink coffee. Caffeinated. Not too much. Capsicum (bell peppers)/chili and coffee are the best foods related to being healthier in your later years. Coffee has been tested to delay the onset of Alzheimer's by about 5 years.

@burialchoice I’ve never really focused on my core, but as I think about my future stages of life from this point on it really looks pretty important. If you’re going to have a baby there’s less likelihood of injury, you might have an easier time during labor, and it’s slightly easier to recover, unless some other injury happens of course.

As you get older you need your core to help you bend over to grab things, to go to the toilet and get back up, anything that would keep you living independently requires core strength.

Overall strength is a goal for me, but as I’m getting healthier I need to remember core and develop a routine to strengthen it that isn’t related to full body activities where like if I injured a knee I couldn’t do anymore.

@addy7two Core strength is super important! After two kids, my core was demolished and not having a strong baseline before I got pregnant made it challenging after I gave birth. I’m almost 40 and now have a herniated disc in my back that requires surgery. I’m not saying better core strength would have prevented my injury, but it’s made me acutely aware how important it is.

@burialchoice Martial Arts has been amazing for me. I started a while ago and I’m 26 now. Group classes, push yourself to have both speed and power, and just working to be agile. Plus, the community can be really rewarding and help you along your fitness journey.

@burialchoice Invest in clothing that block harmful sun rays. I really like Coolibar clothing and they are a little expensive but so worth it. Sunscreen combined with a good hat and UPF 50+ clothing has me well covered when I'm outside. My boyfriend's Coolibar rashguard saved his skin during a beach trip when he accidentally left sunscreen back at the hotel for a day.

@burialchoice FWIW my dad is like 75, lean, no chronic pain. He's done resistance training for years ("train, don't strain" is his motto for avoiding injury) with occasional cardio (usually jogging). Diet is pretty much: breakfast of greek yogurt, blueberries, walnuts, soy milk; lunches/dinners with a balance of carbs/veggies/protein. Dark chocolate for dessert and a glass of red wine every night.

Honestly I think the key is to find something you love (so that you stick with it for years), and find a healthy diet that works for you too. Consistency outweighs perfection every time.

@burialchoice Weight-bearing exercise to maintain strong bones.

My mother signed us up for a gym when I was 14 and I have kept up strength training and other weight-bearing exercise since then. I'm hoping this will help me avoid bone density issues as I age!

(Thanks, mom!!!)

@burialchoice Food is just as important as exercise. People who eat a lot of sugar and a lot of refined carbs tend to have chronic systemic inflammation, which can lead to all sorts of health issues down the road. I've been roughly following the Primal way of eating and it's great.

For diet and exercise, like anything else, don't make it too complicated. You don't want to get stressed out and stop doing it. :) You know it's a marathon and not a sprint, so you're absolutely right to be focusing on building habits.