My workout routine

youngdisciple1

I'm in my early 30s, and have been working out since I was in my early 20s w/ varying success, experimenting w/ bro-splits, PPL, full body, upper-lower. I workout at home w/ a power tower, a few heavy DBs & KBs, a suspension trainer, and bands. I'm 5ft 8in. I started in my 20s at 156 lbs and got to about 205 lbs, but then my wife's good cooking and kids happened and I'm currently at a stubborn 230 lbs. My goal is to get back down to around 200 lbs.

Frequency: Through trial and error I found full-body to be the best for me. As stated before, I'm married w/ 3 kids and I work a full-time job, so the traditional MWF pattern is impossible for me to follow, so I workout whenever I have the opportunity and take off days when needed or because of work or family obligations. Time is an issue as I train after work, so I prefer to keep my sessions 30 minutes or less.

THE WORKOUT

Day 1

1a. Dips (usually weighted)
1b. Vertical Pull (usually chinups or pullups w/ handle attachments. Traditional pullups aggravate my biceps and elbows)
1c. Single-leg squat/lunge (I like weighted Bulgarian Split Squats, step-ups w/ knee drive, or endurance reverse lunges)
(3-5 rounds)

2.. Optional isolation tri-set
(3-4 rounds)

Day 2

1a. Pushup Variation
1b. Row Variation (Usually heavy DB rows or inverted rows)
1c. Bilateral Squat Variation (usually heavy goblet squats or what I call "pump squats" aka 1 air squat followed by a 1 jump squat, which counts as 1 rep, for endurance)
(3-5 rounds)

(3-4 rounds)

Day 3.

1a. Vertical Press (Usually 1 arm KB or DB OHP or HSPU progression)
1b. Hip Hinge (Usually 1-leg deadlifts or KB swings, but I'll do bw leg curls or 1-leg hip thrusts w/ a chair for variety)
1c. Hanging Leg Raise progression (trying for toes-to-bar) or a weighted pullover v-up, both work the pulldown motion of the back as well as the abs
(3-5 rounds)

(3-4 rounds)

Optional isolation tri-set: Usually I like to include calves and sets for arms or shoulders. If I'm training outside in a park or somewhere similar, I'll forgo isolation exercises for sets of sprints instead.

Cardio: My job is a busy one and has me on my feet all day, which I know isn't traditional cardio but it sure feels like it! At home it's family walks or playing w/kids outside

Diet: I'm confident w/ my workout as it came out of years of trial and error. I usually eat the traditional 3 squares a day, i.e. breakfast w/ coffee, lunch and dinner. If I snack it's usually fruit, and I don't eat after 6pm. Desserts are only for holidays and special occasions.,If I'm honest with myself, I would say my biggest problem is diet, or more specifically portion control. I can eat a lot at once, which comes out of my upbringing where big portions were the norm as my parents and most of my relatives are overweight or obese. I try to curb it, but it's a struggle, especially around dinner time if I worked all day and came home and worked out. I deal with depression and sometimes emotionally eat, particularly chocolate.

If anyone has any advice on what I can do to improve my workout and/or tips to improve my diet it would be very much appreciated🙏. Thanks if you took the time to read this 😅

@youngdisciple1 tbh it sounds like you know what you need to do, now you just gotta do it

"work is cardio" kind of reminds of "i run/bike so i don't need to train legs" because I can think of very few jobs that would have the required intensity in exertion to be truly called cardio, but then again you say you sprint so it's probably fine

i saw this post a while ago that had some unconventional ideas for dieting that I never heard of, maybe you can find something there

besides that, all I can say is that it is really hard, but you can do it

@youngdisciple1 The most important thing is knowing your maintenance calories and adjusting from there. You could also try intermittent fasting. Keep an 8 hour eating window that works best for you. I typically do 12pm-8pm but I'm usually done eating before 8pm. I eat two full meals and two smaller snacks in between. It's worked well for me for a few years now.

@dawn16 I did IF for a long time when I worked evenings part-time i.e. I would drink my coffee in the morning, train around noon, eat around 1pm, eat again at about 4, go to work at 5 and eat my last meal at about 7-7:30. But now I work early mornings full-time so most of my calorie expenditure is in the morning and early afternoon. I'll typically get up at 4am, eat and drink coffee, go to work by 6am, eat a protein bar for lunch at work at around 10:30am, go home around 2:30pm and eat a banana before I train around 3-3:30 pm, and then between 4-4:30 dinner is done and I don't eat again for the rest of the night unless it is a holiday or special occasion. So essentially, I eat in a 12 hr window

@youngdisciple1 This is fine, but it doesn’t matter if your calories are out of wack. You’re currently consuming enough energy to sustain 230 lbs of man meat—if you want to get down to 200 lbs you’ll need to consume less.

@pawel Sorry, I wrote something stupid. Yes, my wife reminds me of this, especially around dinner time, when I'm most prone to going overboard. I'm currently trying the "small plate" method of portion control, which has helped me lose a few lbs already. Thanks for your reply! 🙂

@youngdisciple1 For your eating style it sounds like OMAD might be a viable option, just eat one meal a day at dinner time and eat as much as you want (like you can literally gorge yourself) it’s really hard to eat 2000 + calories at once especially if it’s nutritionally sound foods but you’ll still feel full (even gross if you really want to) and be under your total calorie allowance for the day.

@tomaspianist Thanks for the suggestion! I've thought about OMAD, but while I'm not diabetic, I have had bad hypoglycemia symptoms from fasting too long, so I'd rather not risk it. Also, I feel like eating one meal a day would encourage me to be a glutton-- which is a behavior I'm trying to curb, for myself as well as my children, as I don't want them to fall into the same patterns of disordered eating as I did growing up.

@youngdisciple1 Gotcha! One thing that might help with portion control is the mind set of “taking a break” have your first small portion and then take a break for 15 minutes and if you’re still hungry then have another small portion usually you’ll find yourself feeling fuller after a few cycles and find that you’ve eaten a lot less this also takes your brain out of thinking “I gotta eat it all on the first go cause then it’s over”

@tomaspianist Thank you for taking the time to give me this advice. My wife always tells me I should slow down, as I tend to wolf my food down. Through smaller portions and slow eating, my wife has been able to lose a significant amount of weight herself, so it should work for me. I just need to break out of that ingrained behavior of shoveling my food down my throat

@youngdisciple1 Looks pretty good to me. For the Pushup variation, I'd use Leaned Forward Pushups. That will take you towards your first Planche Pushup. For the Rows, I'd go towards Bodyweight Arc Rows. That will take you towards your first Front Lever. Also, if your elbows hurt, try doing Pull-Ups/Chin-Ups on RINGS rather than the bar. The rings are WAY more comfortable and adaptable to your shoulders and elbows etc.

@jermyn Thank you for those calisthenics progression suggestions, I'll definitely keep those in mind!

I do use those exercise handles with the loops that secure around a pullup bar for an approximation of ring pullups. They have thick grips, so I find them to be an excellent grip exercise as well as an alternative to traditional pullups. I'm 230 lbs, so pullups are challenging as it is 😅 But I can do 3-5 pretty consistently

@jermyn Yup. They're those Perfect Fitness brand handles, so they serve as a pretty close approximation of rings. You fasten the looped ends around the bar and use the handled ends for pullups. They are easier on the elbows, but they're tough because of the thicker grip.

Perfect Fitness Handles

@youngdisciple1 I'm glad to hear about your experience with different workout routines and your determination to find what works best for you. Your full-body workout routine sounds like a great option for those with busy schedules, and I appreciate you sharing the specific exercises you do on each day. It's also great that you've identified your challenges with portion control and emotional eating, and I wish you the best of luck in finding strategies to overcome them.

In case you or anyone else is interested, I recently wrote a blog post about strength training for beginners. It covers the basics of strength training and provides tips for getting started, so it might be a helpful resource for those looking to incorporate more strength training into their workout routine. Check it out at bodyjunkie24.com/ultimate-beginners-guide-to-strength-training

Back