Need dome advice

motman10

So i've been going to the gym for a few weeks, still a beginner, although i've done some lifting when i was even younger. I'm currently following this variation of the Alpha Destiny Novice Program 3 times a week (https://outalpha.com/the-out-alpha-novice-program/) :

- Day A:

Squat 3/5x5 (Sets x Reps)

Pause Bench 3/5x5

Stiff-Legged/Romanian Deadlift 2/3x5

Cable Row 3x12

Overhead Barbell Extension 3x12

Barbell/Dumbell Preacher Curl 3x12

Crunches 3x12

- Day B:

Deadlift 1/2x5

Barbell Row 2x12

Pause Overhead Press 3/5x5

Close-Grip Bench Press 3x12

Cable Lat pulldown 3x12

Barbell/Dumbell Preacher Curl 3x12

Crunches 3x12

Is this enough volume, is it too much? I'm thinking of adding some more shoulder work (probably lateral raises) and maybe reducing lat load, what do you guys think? Thanks!

@motman10 In my opinion, as a beginner, just stick to the program and progressively overload. Don’t add stuff, don’t get rid of stuff, don’t try to progress faster, etc. Just stick to consistently showing up and doing the program. When you have actually been at it for a while and established some more knowledge and learn more about your body and how it reacts to different movements, rep ranges, levels of intensity, etc, you can start to make adjustments.

@motman10 This is perfectly fine for where you are. Don’t overthink it. Just keep chugging away for awhile. Alex is a good dude, and he knows his stuff. Just worry about learning perfect form, feeling the muscles working and learning a mind-muscle connection, and avoid ego lifting and flip flopping routines. This is a solid, basic routine that’ll grow with you for a quite awhile.

@motman10 I’d follow the program as is because it covers all your bases. You’ll have the rest of your life to refine your physique. First build something to refine and focus on getting good at the movements, progressing, eating and sleeping.

@motman10 Both of those days seem like a lot for a single day. Personally I hate imagining starting off with squats and benching between Romanian deadlifts. This is cramming a lot of different muscle groups into single days. Do you find it taxing? How many days a week are you planning to lift?

I think consistency is important and shooting for something sustainable long term is important

@motman10 i love fullbody programs, i use myself 3 times a week too but there is no way i would recommend this to newbie 4-5 compounds per workout and 3 times a weeks sounds too much for newbie. well give it a shot, like other people said don't add extra volume and don't worry about volume, i actually even worry if you can gonna recover from that.

but if i was u i would change crunches with decline sit up, they feeling better to me

@motman10 Nooooo don't do it you should do GSLP or SS instead. Just kidding, follow the program and stop thinking you can make minor tweaks, because you can't. Stick to the program, eat lots of food and the results will come.

Back