New mom - post c-section bod help

franciswinland

Hi there! So I had a 10 lb baby by c section. Prior to pregnancy I was a little chunky due to diet, but I’m also typically an extremely active person. I ride horses for a living. Currently it is winter, so I’m not riding and less active. I’m 9months postpartum and I just have a lot more fat on my body than I would like. I’ve gotten a good portion of the baby weight off to be almost where I started when I found out I was pregnant - approx 10lbs to meet that goal. In reality I would like to lose about 25 more lbs to be back to my pre-honeymoon-phase body. This will help my career for sure and definitely my self esteem. Basically I’m looking to burn a lot of belly fat as well as thigh fat. Walking really doesn’t do much for me as I typically walk between 15k and 30k steps a day. Any suggestions?

@franciswinland First, get cleared for exercise by your doctor.

Physique goals invariably boil down to gaining muscle and losing fat.

Fat is distributed according to genetics and rate of caloric surplus. Spot reduction is a falsehood, you lose fat anywhere by losing fat everywhere. Imagine a pool with a shallow end and a deep end. When you fill the pool, the deep end will be completely submerged before the shallow end level changes. Correspondingly, when you empty the pool, the shallow end will be completely empty before the deep end level changes. So you lose fat in a specific area by adhering to the principles of fat loss over a long enough period of time.
To gain muscle:

1) Follow a full body strength training program encompassing progressive overload on compound exercises

2) Aim for ~1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight per day (source)

3) Try to get 9 hours of sleep per day (source)

Concurrent strength training and cardio training is optimal for fat loss (source). Comparatively, strength training is superior to cardio training for the purposes of fat loss (source). Building muscle mass increases your metabolism which means you burn more calories just sitting around (source). HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and MICT (Moderate Intensity Continuous Training) are virtually identical in terms of fat loss and fat-free mass gain, so cardio modality is a matter of preference (source). However, exercise is not the optimal way to lose fat. Further reading: https://physiqonomics.com/fat-loss/#training-for-fat-loss

To lose fat:

1) Eat at a caloric deficit. Google "TDEE calculator" to estimate your daily caloric usage, then aim for approximately ~200-500 calories subtracted from this.

2) Download a calorie tracker app and track your meals.

3) Then adjust values based on the cause-effect relationship between your individual efforts and your individual results over a ~3-4 month period.

Focus on whole foods such as meat (red, white, fish), eggs, dairy, fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, legumes, grains, etc. Prioritize high protein and high fiber. Avoid sugar and processed foods. For a more specific nutritional goal, try Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen Checklist.

A high protein diet aids in fat loss (source 1, source 2), and increased protein intake can beneficially affect recovery times (source) and reduce soreness (source).

@franciswinland Buy/use a stepmill and go on it for 40 minutes a day. 40 min to 1hour

Even at slow speed, it will be a challenging workout

It will help lower fat and build legs