New to doing push-ups…arms shake and feel super week for a long time

@junebug72 Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I played tennis for a while so I always viewed DOMS as a good thing, but ofc my leg and forearm muscles were built up at that point. I was worried the weakness was a bad thing, but it makes sense that it might actually be GOOD, as well as the lack of soreness accompanying it.

@mstub Start with wall pushups. When you can do 30 effortlessly, do some knees pushups, start in sets of 3x5.

Then slowly start doing more, 3x6 and so forth.

This is a process, don't give up. We all believe in you.

Ps: I can't stress enough that you should have days off. Please don't overtrain. Do different muscle groups on different days and have at least 2 rest days a week where you only walk.

@desar86 I have begun implementing a routine of different muscle groups thanks to your comment and others’! Just for clarification, I am able to do the 3x10 of Normal push-ups (maybe more like 3x8 now that I am using proper form with elbows not flared) — it’s just that those last 10 make my arms weak and shaky. But I get them done. So should I continue with doing that amount of reps/sets, or slow it down so that I’m not fatigued every time?

@mstub I would do the first series "normal" and the rest with knees. I would then once a week test again to see how I feel, because overtraining can lead to injury fast. Also check your form.

@mstub I don’t think you have mentioned how long you have been training using these exercises? Sore muscles from training are a good thing, however there is a line you can cross when you are over exerting your muscles and body when you do not recover sufficiently before your next training. If you have been training for months without proper resting this can happen for example. Did you try a resting period of up to 2 weeks and then try to see how it feels?

@kirraantrobus I should have included that information - I’ve been working out for just 1 week. I will definitely make sure to take rest days, but I think I can confidently say whether I took significantly more rest days I’d still be shaking after every set at this point in time because I’m still so new to this!

@mstub Well you just explained it yourself why your arms feel weak and shaky. Because you are not very strong and youre using your muscles in a different way now.

Its just like youre always used to using the elevator going up 10 floors, but when you decide to walk using the stairs for 10 floors your legs will feel weak.

Rinse and repeat and you will feel stronger. Good luck mahdude!

@mstub That's was me when I started my arms Shaked so much while doing push ups that I thought I was doing something wrong and they were about to break.

It went way after 4 weeks

@rgdouglass Another huge factor when just starting out is, your NERVES need to learn how to actuate your muscles efficiently.

The major (relatively huge) gains a newbie makes isn't from muscle strength, but from learning how to actually push, with the same (low) muscle mass. Those nerve synapses get strong faster than the muscle can.

Example, someone that use to lift but left off for YEARS, can pick it up again relatively quickly. Those old nerve connections just need to be dusted off a bit. They'll be on their way to bulking up much faster than someone just starting out, because their nerves have already learned how to use the muscle they currently have more efficiently.

That doesn't sound like OP's problem with shakiness after a workout, just a side note about shaking while lifting (at first).

@mstub It'll take time but remember you're in it for the long haul. I started doing pushups daily when I was 16 and I'm 62 and still doing them. You will get stronger.

@imagebreaker How many per day usually? I’ve been incorporating daily push-ups into my routine, using push-ups and squats as my morning workout warm up (50 if strength training, 100 if a cardio day. 10 rep sets).

@imagebreaker I’ve only been at it for a few weeks, but the plan is to slowly increase reps/decrease sets. I try to switch it up with regular, wide, and diamond push ups. Suggest any other variations?

@jkelley Try moving your hands further down. As far as possible. More difficult. Also elevate your feet. For more variation do reverse pushups if you can. Builds up your back.
Don't expect instant results - you're in it for the long haul. You may not notice the results but others will. Good luck.

@mstub Make sure you're getting some pulling done as well as a pushing exercise. And if you want to weigh more and have more all-body power, it's all in the legs. High step ups are a way to start there.

If you haven't hit the sidebar for the full body workout recommendations, I would point you there.

@mstub Work through easier variations as you weaken, that'll ensure you keep up the strain on your muscles even if you can't do full BW press ups.

Also, not super in line with this sub but I'd always recommend for a beginner to join a gym and diversify your movements and routines until you find ones you like and build base level strength.

A lot of people find just push ups very appealing because of the lack of equipment but because you've never worked out you'll struggle to get good consistent reps. Using machines/weights for a few months will allow you to better isolate each muscle and build up the base level strength you'll need to excel in BW exercises.

@mstub I would start mixing in variations of exercises as well. Doing the same exercise every other day can cause more fatigue to your muscles.

Maybe one day do incline push ups, then the next flat push ups, then the next decline push ups. Not only will this allow certain muscles to recover, but it will allow others to get more work so that you’re more evenly building muscle.

Also, make sure you’re incorporating pull movements as well. Too many push exercises and not enough pull movements can lead to rounding of the shoulders.

@biblethumper7 My plan (as long as my body feels good to go each day) is to do Push-ups twice a week, Pull-ups twice a week, and squats twice a week. Sundays off.

Now, I’ll start by acknowledging that these probably shouldn’t be the only things I’m doing — but I’m just starting out so it’s more-so just to get a routine going. The problem I’ve experienced so far is that even the pull exercises (such as chin-ups or rows) still get my triceps pretty badly 😂 and they’re super weak from doing push-ups the day before so I don’t get much accomplished before fatigue…so I guess I should make sure my muscles are 95-100% strength before engaging in chin-ups after push-ups?